Undo card delete / option to confirm before deleting

bsh26

I keep accidentally deleting cards when trying to do things too quickly. I think it'd be useful (and a trivial feature) to confirm before deletion, or less trivial but also useful to have an undo feature.

On a side note, is there a way to take the union of card backup databases, as a crude manual way to undelete stuff? E.g. are there details on the backups' file format somewhere?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, where are you accidentally deleting them? Most of our delete buttons already have a confirmation dialog (or at least they should).

Database union: no, format isn't documented and as we're about to throw it out the window for 4.0 we're unlikely to ever document it. But FWIW in the current format the data for a particular card lives in three places:

1) The card record itself in the cards table;
2) Any category assignments, in the category assignments table; and
3) Its score data in the various 'scores' tables.

So if you copy over those records for a card from your backup that should give you the deleted card back.

bsh26

Sorry should've clarified! In an dictionary entry, pressing the + button where a card already exists creates a "Duplicate card" popup dialog box. Here, I sometimes fat-fingeredly press the "delete card" button when intending to press "card info", but this doesn't pop up a confirmation.

There might be a similar-looking dialog box (i.e. with a title other than "Duplicate card") that appears elsewhere? (if so I don't recall when it shows up)

Aha, those files are sqlite! Got it, thanks a bunch!

PS: Pleco is an amazing app, thank you for making such a useful and well-polished tool!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks!

Ah, makes sense. We're actually planning to consolidate that screen and Card Info into a single dialog in 4.0, but will see if we can do anything about making that button at least a bit harder to press by accident in the meantime.

Milly Law

Same problem for me, either a recover/undo button or confirm delete.
i use a lot Pleco and it helped me improve a lot my Chinese. I have a very complex database and I’m devastated every time I loose a card.