unable to understand how to use flashcard srs

yedafu

秀才
Hi everyone!
I recently purchase pleco flashcard add-on and the extended voice for the main reason that I want to test my self on the sound. iv been using anki for some time and I found it great but not so comfortable in adding and testing on sounds, so I bought the pleco add on but for the last 2 days iv been trying to understand how it works without any success. Iv read the manual but still very unclear and confuse by the tones of options. iv try just to jump in the water, put in a new words and start studying but wasn't satisfied at all from the results. when I first start studding a new word I don't know that word so I mark it as wrong, when I do that in anki after a few seconds I will see that word again and than again until I got t right, but here in pleco I just see her one time than mark it as worng and that's it for the day. now I don't know that word at all after reviewing her one time...so all in all I figure i must doing something wrong, can some one please help with how to optimize the configuration and how to use pleco srs efficiently. thanks!!!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry about that.

For the repeating of incorrect cards - we don't do that by default, but if you go into the "Commands" screen under New Test there's a "repeat incorrect" option in there that you can use - can repeat cards at the end of a test or during the test, and you can customize the interval before a card is reviewed again.

The default settings should be optimal (and not too different from Anki's) aside from that - if you notice any other functions not working well, could you be any more specific about how?

yedafu

秀才
thanks found it:)
well im confused about this subject:
1) what is the subject selection(simple/alternating/score based)?
what should I choose?
2) the scoring: what is it? what should I know about it?
3) test type- whats the difrent between review only and self graded?
4) day type? what should it be? (hours/calendar)
sorry if its all in the manual but iv tried read it and really didn't get it by myself...
thanks a lot,

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
1) This lets you vary which 'part' of each card is studied during the test (characters, pinyin, definition) - 'simple' does the same part for the whole test, 'alternating' cycles between different parts on successive cards, 'score-based' varies based on the score (= interval in SRS, how well you've learned the card).

2) Scores are intervals - we call them scores because they can also be used as something other than intervals (in our now-discouraged 'frequency-adjusted' test mode). Basically 100 points = 1 day, 200 points = 2 days, etc, so not too unfamiliar if you're used to Anki.

3) Review-only doesn't hide anything, it shows you the entire card from the beginning and you just tap "Next" to go on to the next card.

4) "Calendar" is probably best - "Hours" is mostly useful if you review at irregular times (and would not want, say, cards that reviewed at night to come up again the following morning) or if you're trying to review at less-than-1-day intervals.

yedafu

秀才
Thanks! Things much clearer now. Just last qustions:
1) how do i set a defult dictionary for the flashcards? I want that the card i add will automaticly be set as an ABC dic, is that possible?
2)under learnd card catagory what is the "amount" means?(defult set to 200)
Again thanks alot

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
1) They'll go by whatever dictionary ranks highest in Manage Dictionaries - you can reorder them in there to put ABC on top.

2) That's the threshold after which a card will be considered "learned," freeing up space for the system to introduce more new cards. A score of 200 basically just means you've answered it correctly once, if you want something more aggressive I'd instead suggest using "correct in row" or "correct in total" with 2 or 3 (or more) times.