Uh Oh... device id doesnt match that on file after crash...

Shadowdh

状元
Well I finally had a ppc crash last night and this morning as I was trying to reload it all I got a message that my keyfile didnt match my device ID... (I thought the device ID was the same as the owners name but apparantly not) now how do I change the device ID to match what it was before??? or any other ideas to help me out of this quandry... oh and no I cannot remember what it was called before... DOH..!!!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This occasionally happens on some Pocket PCs, unfortunately; in Windows Mobile 5, Microsoft only gives us one interface through which we can uniquely identify a device, and if the manufacturer has set that to change after a reset there's no way our software can tell the difference between a reset and a completely new Pocket PC.

The Device ID on Pocket PC is based on your hardware ID and not on the device name, so that's why it's changing even if the name's the same.

So your best bet here is to use the automated system on "My Orders" to request a new keyfile.

Shadowdh

状元
Thanks Mike... I will do that then... the ppc I have uses windows mobile 2003 version (not that I know if that makes any difference or not) but one thing I have learned from this experience is that without pleco its like an arm missing when it comes to my Chinese learning experience... such an invaluable tool... cant wait for ver2!!

Shadowdh

状元
ok... problem solved... not sure why to be honest... I hard reset it and then just loaded it up again and presto I can use it once again.. a relief as I have tests and assignments due in the next week or so and to not have pleco would be too horrible to think of...!!!

Shadowdh

状元
I think I may have figured out why it worked again... the device id was reset to something similar therefore could validate the key or vice versa...