transferring user dict

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of trouble transferring my user dict from my Pocket PC (IPAQ with Pleco 2) to my new iphone. I've just bought the iphone, and don't really know whether one can actually (nor how to) physically transfer files to it. Attaching the USB lead to my PC hasn't worked.

I've also searched on here for user dict transfer and most of the material is about either flashcards or document exchange.

Could someone please tell me the best way to transfer my user dict across? It's got 1400 entries and I'd very much like it on my new gadget. That said, has there been people on here who've combined their user dicts to make larger, more useful ones? In the spirit of good faith I'll upload what I was able to extract from my Pocket PC. It's a txt file and not a pfb (?), but that's not my problem at this stage because I'm even having problems sending files to the iphone at all.

Thanks,

James Forsyth

I fiddled around more last night and was able to see the file in pleco's "documents" on the iphone. I first tried a txt and then own (?). Neither were accepted. The error message was wrong file or file type or some such.

Thanks in advance for your help. Almost there I'm sure.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
First off, thanks for posting this - would it be OK with you if we scan through it and see if there are any words we might want to add to our PLC dictionary? We'll use our own definitions, we're just always on the lookout for popular words we don't support.

jamesforsyth said:
I fiddled around more last night and was able to see the file in pleco's "documents" on the iphone. I first tried a txt and then own (?). Neither were accepted. The error message was wrong file or file type or some such.

Thanks in advance for your help. Almost there I'm sure.

Here's what you'll actually want to do:

1) Locate your user dictionary database file on your Pocket PC; this should be a .pqb file and will probably be somewhere in My Documents.
2) Copy that file to your Pleco iPhone documents folder.
3) Go into the Pleco "Settings" screen / Manage Dicts / Add User / Load Existing, and select your file.

If you can't find the .pqb file, go to Manage Dicts / Add User / Create New instead, and after creating it, tap on its name in Manage Dicts, scroll down and tap on "Import Entries," tap "File" under "Choose File" and select your file, then tap "Begin Import."

Mike,

Thanks for the instructions. I've now managed and I'm very pleased to have my USER DICTIONARY on my iPhone now. I'm now getting into the new habit of adding words using the iPhone instead of the PocketPC.

I'm happy to help by allowing you to check out my file for words you may wish to put into the plecodict dictionary. If you feel it'd be appropriate to send me a small present in return (a plecodict thing), feel free to use: jamesrlforsyth AT gmail.com

Thanks,

James Forsyth

ok, do you didn't get back to me on that last suggestion. I spend many hours making new dictionary entries which, thus, have an attached value. I'll continue, but keep them to myself next time. Tom Bishop did the same to me when I sent him a stack of cross-references for Wenlin 4. He was impressed by the collection and asked me for copyright permission, which I granted in return for an acknowledgement. He never got back to me.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
jamesforsyth said:
ok, do you didn't get back to me on that last suggestion. I spend many hours making new dictionary entries which, thus, have an attached value. I'll continue, but keep them to myself next time. Tom Bishop did the same to me when I sent him a stack of cross-references for Wenlin 4. He was impressed by the collection and asked me for copyright permission, which I granted in return for an acknowledgement. He never got back to me.

It's only been 2 days and I simply hadn't gotten around to replying to you yet; I wanted to wait until we'd actually examined the file before doing so. However, please be assured that we've now deleted your file without looking at it - if you wish to keep your data to yourself you're certainly welcome to do so.