The improvement I'm most looking forward to in version 2.0

lion

From reading the summary of what's to come in version 2.0, it looks like you're probably already addressing this improvement, but I thought I'd spell it out here just to let you know what the most important change for me is.

When I read an article or other text in Chinese and I come across a word that I want to look up in Pleco, I'd really like to be able to enter the sentence that the word came from in the article so that I could see it every time I reviewed the flashcard for that word. It's nice to see a few sample sentences that are already built-in to the basic dictionaries, but I think it's much more valuable to review the actual useage that you've come across and learned. After, I can make even more sample sentences of my own with my private tutor, and each time I review that flashcard, I can skim these sentences to jog my memory of how I've seen the words used.

This is the system that I've been using for years with (gasp!) cardboard flashcards. I only bought Pleco a few months ago, and I *love* the PDA-based flashcard review system, as it's way more efficient, but the drawback is that I'm not reviewing the phrases taken from the original text that I learned the word in. From the experience of doing it both ways, I feel very strongly that it's important to review those phrases when you go through your flash cards.

I noticed that you intend to allow the results from multiple dictionaries to be shown together, from just one search. Is your plan to have the results from the OX dictionary, ABC dictionary, the new Chinese-to-Chinese dictionary and also the USR dictionary appear as the definition for any word that you search for? If so, then this would completely solve my problem, because I could then create a USR entry for the word, with the "definition" field just being the sample sentence that I take from whatever text I'm reading.

One much less important suggestion would be to allow the user to specify in which order he would like the four dictionaries' definitions to appear. I would prefer, for example, to have the Chinese-to-Chinese definition first, then OX, then ABC, then finally USR at the bottom. However, a beginner might prefer to have the OX first, then ABC and then just the USR. This suggestion is less vital to me than the one from the previous paragraph.

One final word: I understand that you must be very busy with all the ambitious improvements that you have in store. I, and everyone else, appreciate your hard work. It will certainly take months and months to get everything that you want to get done perfected. If it looks like it's going to be the end of the year before you can come out with a version 2.0, then you could perhaps consider an earlier release of a version 1.5 or something that only includes half of your intended improvements. This might not fit with your plans; it's just an idea.

Thanks a lot!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks for your feedback. I believe this should be possible in 2.0 - I can't think of any reason why we'd want to exclude user dictionary entries from the multi-dictionary result screens, and you'd certainly be able to choose the order in which they appear. There may even be a full-fledged "annotate entry" feature that streamlines this for you (tagging the USR data as an annotation instead of a new entry and allowing you to separately choose where that gets inserted into the entry), though it's possible that might get punted to a later release.

As for the possibility of a 1.5 release, in general we prefer to release as few "finished" versions as possible, since a great deal of our development time is spent on debugging and compatibility testing and this increases with every additional release. However, we do plan to release a "preview version" of 2.0 sometime this summer - it'll likely be very buggy and will be missing several big new features, but it will give people who want it early access to some of the cool new things we're working on, and it should be possible to run 1.0 and 2.0 on the same Palm without having them interfere with each other.

Jane

stroke order

With so many goodies to look forward to in the next release, it is hard to pick, but my favorite will be the stroke order. It really bothers me when I have to guess at stroke order and risk permanently ingraining the wrong order when I practice the word. While waiting for the release, though, I can recommend, based on a trial of just a few days at this point, the "eStroke" program available at estroke. Very rich in coverage and features. Unfortunately, I don't think it is available for palm.

Keep up the great work!
Jane

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks! Lots of people are looking forward to that, actually; we've been getting requests for it pretty much since the day we released our first Chinese dictionary product. It's still not 100% certain it'll even make it into Pleco 2.0, probably 90% at this point, but it's eaten up enough development time (a big part of the reason why 2.0 is taking so long, in fact) that we'd be very disappointed if it didn't.

I just want to say that I also will definitely appreciate stroke order diagrams, regardless of how much space they will take up in memory. I use it frequently, but I am getting tired of carrying around my Tuttle Language Library's "Reading & Writing Chinese, Simplified Character Edition" by William McNaughton. Not only is the book bulky, but it is also fairly heavy.

Keep up the great work Mike!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Perfect time to post that, since we've now completed a license for the data we need and the odds of stroke order diagrams making it into 2.0 have gone from 90% to 99.9%.

Hello Mike,

I know it may have been a little early for you, but I was really glad to see the update on PlecoDict 2.0 and the approximate pricing scheme that it will be sold with. Thank you for the update! (And getting those stroke order diagrams in there.) While some of the advanced learners may not be interested in the stroke diagrams (or paying for them at least), I find that I like to know the proper way to write the strokes for each character because it helps me to write the characters more naturally.

I have one more feature I would like to see in PlecoDict 2.0. I don't know if it has been mentioned in the forums before or not (I couldn't seem to find it), but I am highly interested in being able to use the Hanwang Chinese handwriting recognizer in my other programs (contacts, notes, Word Mobile, etc...) on my Pocket PC.

I have purchased CE-Star, by Mobem Technologies, with the Pen Power Chinese handwriting recognizer built in, but it has always been very buggy on my HP iPAQ hx2495 running Windows Mobile 5. And, ironically, since they upgraded their software for the Windows Mobile 5 platform, the only way I can use it is if I am willing to not use the buttons on my PDA because it causes all of my buttons to stop working! Unfortunately, it also seems like they don’t have a customer service department because they don’t reply to my emails regarding the issue, nor do they post support forums or frequently asked questions to help resolve issues with their software.

In short, I really wish (and I imagine many others do as well) that you could find a way, if you haven’t already, to make the Hanwang Chinese handwriting recognizer usable in the other programs on our pocket pc’s.

Thanks for everything!

Darrol

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Unfortunately, even if we wanted to make the Hanwang recognizer accessible outside of PlecoDict we wouldn't be able to due to licensing restrictions. We are, however, considering adding a document editor to PlecoDict along with the document reader at some point, so while that still wouldn't let you enter Chinese in Word Mobile / contacts / etc, it would at least let you compose documents in Chinese without using CE-Star.

Thanks for the speedy reply Mike. Well, I guess it was worth a shot ;)

The other improvement that I am extremely interested in is quite simple (I believe). I really wish for a longer history list to instantly look up characters/words/phrases that I have recently looked at. The current history limit is just too short. In less than one hour of using the dictionaries I already cannot find words that I have recently looked at.

Thanks again!

Darrol

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, that's been requested a lot - there are some hard limits on the history list size imposed by Palm OS that would be difficult to work around, but we should be able to make it a few hundred % longer at least.

sfrrr

状元
Mike--I've forgotten (and with a 26.4 baud dialup--the best speed so far today--I don't have the patience to search for it) whether the handwriting recognition will include English. Using the keyboard to enter English (or pinyin) is a pain. I've just started experimenting with Transcriber, and, in the half day I've been using it, it's worked fine. If it really does work with PD then I guess you can ignore this entire message.

Sandra

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It's not beyond their capabilities performance-wise, but it eats up a fair amount of screen real estate and might cause a lot of confusion, plus I don't know that it would really be all that helpful for dictionary searches. It's a handy feature in web browsers because people tend to go back to the same sites again and again and again, but unless we had a truly colossal history list it's doubtful there would be that many repeat viewings, and it's not saving that much time since most of the words people are looking up are only two syllables anyway.

goulniky

榜眼
the keyboard to enter English (or pinyin) is a pain.
Probably a discussion topic for the PDA thread, but I personally think using a keyboard (even a thumbboard) is way faster than Graffiti for anything but hanzi. Even then, when I know the pinyin and there aren't that many homophones, I prefer the keyboard.
I've been using a UX-50 for a few years, also use a Blackberry for work and now that I'm looking at PPC smartphones, I'd only consider a QTEK9000 or similar form factor.
fwiw

goulniky

榜眼
Now that we'll have a Chinese-Chinese dictionary, it would be really great when looking at a flashcard to be able to select which dictionary entry to display, and switch on the fly.
In other words, I'm flicking through flashcards and they display the ABC definition in English, but in some cases I want to see the corresponding 现代汉语规范词典 entry (or the converse when I've become familiar with the word)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It's in the spec, we haven't actually implemented it yet but we almost certainly will. It's certainly among the top 20 or 30 most requested features, and with the addition of the C-C dictionary there really is a much stronger argument for including it, plus now that we're letting users search and combine results from multiple dictionaries it makes sense to give them a similar amount of flexibility with regards to flashcards.

caesartg

榜眼
I don't know if anyone has already suggested this, but HOW ABOUT A ONE-HANDED OPERATION MODE FOR THE DOCUMENT READER? - using the buttons to navigate from one character or character group to the next one, bringing up the definition each time, as an alternative to selecting them with the pen? Quite often when I'm using my Palm, I'm doing other things and trying to operate it with one hand. (E.g. Taking notes on paper, practising the new characters, boiling the kettle for a cuppa).

I use Pleco with Documents To Go's Word To Go reader and it's pretty difficult to use my fingers to one-handedly select each bit of text, then press a button for the Pleco DA.

All the best Mike, and hope it's released well before my final exams! (even a Beta)

Ben

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Interesting idea, I don't think anyone has suggested this before. The first iteration of the document reader may not be all that sophisticated (the only definite thing at this point is that it'll display a text file and let you tap on characters to bring up a definition at the bottom of the screen) but if we have time this sounds like a great addition. Thanks!

Aunty

举人
mikelove said:
Unfortunately, even if we wanted to make the Hanwang recognizer accessible outside of PlecoDict we wouldn't be able to due to licensing restrictions. We are, however, considering adding a document editor to PlecoDict along with the document reader at some point, so while that still wouldn't let you enter Chinese in Word Mobile / contacts / etc, it would at least let you compose documents in Chinese without using CE-Star.

Thanks, it would be great to be able to output even a few words.

At the moment when I want to gather some words I make a new empty default flashcard list, use the dictionary to find words and "add" them, then export the flashcards to a text file, and delete the flashcard set. I don't want to use them as flashcards, just have a list of words (e.g. words handy to use at the next meeting) to look at in a Memo and write some sentences using them.

If a document export feature does happen to make it into the next release, that's a lot of hard work you'd be saving me! :)