Could somebody please explain to me how it is that Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macao have such great literacy rates using those awful traditional characters that no one (and especially women one post seems to suggest) can learn because they are so difficult?
We aren't discussing this in a vacuum. We have real places with real people with extremely high literacy rates using a system that supposedly does not lead to that. And the answer is not that the PRC is so populous. That is just the only politically correct answer available in the PRC; that's why Chinese people there say it so often. We have to think critically about these issues.
The story about the physicist who calculated that bumble bees could not fly is true, but he realized that they do fly (physicists are so smart) and that that meant he was wrong and had to rethink things.
The UN not making a politically based decision

? That is all the UN does.
I think nobody think is impossible to learn it, but you must admit that it takes more time to learn to write and read traditional characters. As a foreigner stuying in mainland, I rather prefer to learn first simplified and then move to traditional, is faster in my experience. I can even identify traditional characters that I never seen before without actually trying, by just guessing. Also, I hate to try to read traditional chinese online because some characters have too many strokes packed in a small space that I literally can't see it but a dark dot.
Actually, the ROC contemplated using simplified characters as a fast way to educate the masses but stopped at one point and I'm guessing it was political related. You are quick to deny the population factor and should I remind the circumstances of that population in mainland: poor after WW2, a Civil war and blocked internationally. You can said that ROC in Taiwan was poor as PRC in mainland, but there is a difference: it was not blocked internationally and had access to support, aid and international markets.
You talk about HK, MC and TW as examples of how you can learn traditional characters. Indeed, you can do it, everyone can do it, but those examples are in a very different context of what a mess was the mainland. I mean, who can learn faster to write 龍,a 1950 HK child or a post chinese civil war child? But if you teach 龙, there is no doubt with what will be easier to start with in a poor environment where kids have disadvantages. Even me, someone that can be said had no hardships at all and have access to education since 4 years old, didn't realize the difference between 人 and 入 until my third semester of chinese. I always read 入口: ren2kou3 instead of ru4kou3 in metro stations and wondered why it was called that way, maybe because is the hole where a lot of 人 enter?
Why koreans created their own writting system besides using hanja (hanzi)? Why japanese invented the Kana besides using kanji (hanzi)? Because if a language, in this case the writting system of that language, is too complex for the masses to use it, it will die slowly as happened with Latin.
Sure, classics need to be preserved, protected, but language should be in function of the people, not otherwise. Latin and their erudites wanted the people to revolve around it, and even called the Romance languages 'vulgar' Latin. What the uneducated masses speak in the present and where is Latin today? Just used in very specific areas and forgotten by the masses.
Well, more or less is the case of using simplified chinese in mainland. Is not like traditional chinese is banned, all my teachers know to write and read it; they need to study them. They will not discourage you from learning it and will be delighted if you are interested, but they can appreciate both. In the other hand, sometimes I feel somekind of snobism from native traditional characters users, like some sort of contempt for learning simplified characters, I guess this disdain is politically motivated and I don't see the point of linking a writting system with a political party, since simplified chinese was not invented by PRC but only accelerated its implementation and also, it was rejected a second round of simplified characters, so one can say that is not just simplify for the sake of simplify.