Terminal/Command-Line support

乔米

秀才
Is there any command line support for Pleco on Android? This would be great feature for powerusers such as myself, e.g. we could write bash scripts to streamline operations such as exporting flashcards, settings.. I keep an active list of my vocab words I study everyday and they get pushed automatically to my Google Tasks. Considering how much I use Pleco on a daily basis, I often find myself doing alot of copying and pasting to/from the app.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
As far as I know, there's no way for a standard Android app to make itself available from the Android command line. We could theoretically rig up something that could be installed over ADB by a rooted user, but I don't think it would generate enough interest (or enough sales) to justify the time commitment.

We do support some functions via URI's and intents, though, and can look at exposing others - what specific sorts of functionality do you need?

乔米

秀才
I generally would like to streamline my vocabulary exports from flashcards to markup files, since I do this manually everyday (I maintain my own SRS system/scripts externally). That being said, do you have a documentation of URI/Intents that are available for powerusers?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Best way to find documentation on it at the moment is to search for "plecoapi" in http://android.pleco.com/manual/310/vershist.html - not something we've drawn a lot of attention to since it was mostly done in response to requests from specific app developers (Skritter, e.g.).

We don't support exports through an API at the moment, though; for that you'd probably just want to write something that queries our SQLite database file. (though I wouldn't invest too much time in that right now since the format is changing completely in 4.0)

乔米

秀才
Im crunching for HSK in these next couple weeks, a quick example of where to hook in for queries would be greatly appreciated/helpful. I do SQL @ work so it wont take a big push. Any help you might offer is super appreciated!

乔米

秀才
Can you specify where the sql file is located? I ran find on /data/data/com.plecochinese and didnt find anything