Symbian touchscreen launched

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Interesting day for mobile announcements, between this and the iPhone SDK news. (which I have to think are related, Apple must have some reason for announcing this so informally / suddenly instead of waiting for a conference) I don't know if S60 Touch is likely to be deployed widely enough that we'd want to do much to specifically support its touchscreen capabilities, but we'll have to see where that goes; it does strengthen the case for a Symbian port in general, given that this will effectively kill UIQ and hence make the Symbian development situation a good bit simpler, not to mention the wider range of devices people could potentially run Pleco on.

Yes! Finally a Symbian OS supporting touchscreen. I can't wait to get it, and then put PlecoDict on it . . .err . . . after Pleco is ported anyway. I can't imagine they would go through all that effort to develop the touchscreen interface and then only put it on one device, so you know it is going to be showing up everywhere in the next year or two and on a variety of phone models.

A symbian pleco would be amazing. I used a Treo 650 last year and it broke 3 times, the palm OS is outdated, and windows sucks even harder.

Pleco should be looking at the OS of the future, that is Symbian and Apple's platform. I have a Nokia e61i, and the ONLY thing it lacks is a good dictionary!

palm is trash! get me a symbian or apple version!

FYI, motorola bought out half of the UIQ company.....

More info on symbian touch

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/16/noki ... onstrated/
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/ite ... unched.php
http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/8447.html

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not exactly the sort of post I like to read after we've just spent so much time developing a new version of our software for Palm and Windows, but I appreciate your honesty at least. Wasn't aware of the Motorola-UIQ connection but it seems like a sensible acquisition, Microsoft is at least a year away from releasing the not-actually-quite-as-horrible new version of Windows Mobile and UIQ gives them something that might actually differentiate them from their competitors when their hardware designs inevitably get ripped off a few months after they release them.

Maybe I was a little harsh in my last post, but I honestly feel that unless Palm comes out with a killer O.S within a YEAR, it's going to be dead. I think if Pleco was able to operate on Apple, Windows, and Symbian, then you would have a LARGE portion of the market space covered.

Rick31

举人
I think windows is still going to be a major player for a long time to come; the fact that Palm now sells Windows machines is testament to this. Plus, most of the major companies who are not trying to create their own platform are using windows. I don't find that it sucks, and if companies like HTC keep creating innovative products that use it as a platform, it's not going anywhere. Just look at the Phone Daily website sales rankings for Taiwan and Hong Kong...the windows mobile phones sell, and people buy the upgrades. Their customers are quite loyal.

After saying all of that, I still wouldn't rule Palm out completely, but they need to do some major innovating if they are going to keep up. I live in Hong Kong now, and when I went to several stores to ask about Palm products, EVERYONE frowned. People in Asia don't like Palm, they think it is a thing of the past that was good for PDA's. None of the stores would even show me the phone, though they had it in their display window. The response was similar when I lived in Taiwan. So, if Palm is going to out-do its competitors, it has a long way to go-and it's needs something innovative in a big way to sway the pretty firm opinion here in Asia.

All of these newer platforms are not necessarily the platforms of the future. Blackberry is on its way to establishing itself, but most of these are quite new; the Iphone gets many complaints (some people absolutely hate it) and these other platforms are not yet field tested. So, essentially, I think Pleco is going in the right direction.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks! And yeah, Microsoft's never going to allow themselves to be kicked out of the handheld space completely even if they have to start giving away Windows Mobile for free, so we do at least have some assurance that that version of Pleco will stay usable for a while.

Because I don't use the handwriting input that often I am looking at the Nokia e51 or e90 :lol: Although the e90 is still a little pricy, 5000rmb here in Beijing.