Status Update

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
In case anyone's wondering about the lack of recent beta updates: we're making some minor changes to the database schema that will necessitate updating everyone's databases, and we'd rather not be in the position of having to juggle several different iterations of those, so we're waiting until we're finished + satisfied with them so we can then do another update, which will also be our first official test of updating-the-database-format-on-a-new-release. So probably several more weeks until the next beta.

Also, while that next beta will probably not be all that exciting feature-wise - cleaning up settings / flashcard UI issues e.g. remains something we're only going to get to after we work through the colossal number of little annoying database / search / etc bugs we're grappling with - one big new thing that should be coming in it is that we've finished converting the remainder of our graded readers for 4.0 and they should all be available with that next beta.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not out yet, this post was explaining why we were delayed. Current target for the next update is the week of March 4th. (I've been away this past week and hope we can finish putting everything together next week)

tomasi

Aha - great. I thought some of them were already supposed to be available since you mentioned working on converting "the remainder" of the readers. Looking forward to the update!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Oh, yes, 4 of them are available in “Add-ons” in the current app if you’ve already bought them, but as with all beta add-ons they won’t show up at all otherwise.

tomasi

Got it. I haven't bought any of them before. I suppose that means I would have to wait until 4.0 is released? I don't see any available for purchase in the legacy app either by the way.

Graded readers sound like a great idea, especially if integrated into Pleco. Looking forward to trying them.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
In general I wouldn't recommend buying anything new to use in 4.0, since getting them to a clean final state is more-or-less the last thing on our to-do list.