Special phrases in Graded Readers

Pepe

秀才
Shouldn't the blue phrases in the Graded Readers give additional information on those phrases? I remember there being a plus sign next to those phrases when I was reading Graded Reader 500 stories. Tapping those worked well, but the same buttons lead to Pleco crashing when I was reading Graded Reader 1000 stories. And now there are no plus signs anymore, but the phrases have a different color instead. But there is no additional explanation when tapping on those phrases.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We removed most of the plus signs - left only the few that provided information that you couldn’t also get by just tapping on the word to look it up in Pleco. The colored text mostly just means “this is probably a word you want to look up” and there’s only a + sign if that lookup would not give you the same information that the + sign would.

As far as crashing - no idea there, are you using the latest version of Pleco? Have you submitted your crash logs to Google? What brand/model of device do you have and what version of Android is it running?

Pepe

秀才
Graded Reader 500, Story 6 (照片): I found two plus signs in the first third of the text not doing anything when tapped.
Graded Reader 1000, Story 1 (谁生活得更美好): Tapping the plus sign (which seems not related to any special phrase) kills Pleco. I have just submitted the crash log to Google.

Pleco Version: 3.2.64
Android Version: 6.0.1
Device: Galaxy S5 mini SM-G800F

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not having much luck reproducing this so far, unfortunately, and I tried to dig up your crash log here but I can't seem to find it - you're sure you're running Pleco version 3.2.64 and Android 6? Which plus sign were you tapping?

Pepe

秀才
Please find screenshots attached. It's not a showstopper, but I thought you might want to investigate. As I also have this other problem, do you think it's helpful to redownload the Graded Reader 1000?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-08-08-09-43-09.png
    Screenshot_2019-08-08-09-43-09.png
    98.7 KB · Views: 354
  • Screenshot_2019-08-08-09-45-56.png
    Screenshot_2019-08-08-09-45-56.png
    143.8 KB · Views: 341
  • Screenshot_2019-08-08-09-44-09.png
    Screenshot_2019-08-08-09-44-09.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 297

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You could certainly try re-downloading it, yes - a corrupted file could theoretically explain both of these problems.

Pepe

秀才
Yep, seems like the file was corrupted. Sanity checking downloads might be a good idea. Thanks for your effort :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We actually do verify downloads before we unzip them, but it could have gotten corrupted after-the-fact, particularly on a device that old. (if you're not already using some sort of online backup service - preferably one that retains previous versions of files - I'd recommend you get one)