Southern Min(Taiwanese) and Cantonese

Tezuk

举人
Has anybody stumbled across this user submitted dictionary?

http://kaifangcidian.com/

What I am excited about is the Cantonese and Southern Min dictionaries! They even have good sentence examples and it seems to be copyright free. Is there anyway you lovely Pleconians can incorporate this as a free download in Pleco? (at least until you license a Cantonese dictionary) I look forward to the day when the top left corner of my Pleco screen shows 英/中/閩/粵.I for one would be willing to make a donation to see something like this happen.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Tezuk said:
Has anybody stumbled across this user submitted dictionary?

http://kaifangcidian.com/

What I am excited about is the Cantonese and Southern Min dictionaries! They even have good sentence examples and it seems to be copyright free. Is there anyway you lovely Pleconians can incorporate this as a free download in Pleco? (at least until you license a Cantonese dictionary) I look forward to the day when the top left corner of my Pleco screen shows 英/中/閩/粵.I for one would be willing to make a donation to see something like this happen.

Yikes, sorry it took me so long to reply to this.

Anyway, the issue here is that we don't actually have Cantonese search support in our app yet, and we're having a hard time coming up with a way to integrate it with Pinyin - not very easy to squeeze another button into that already crowded interface, so we'd probably have to go from 中/英 to 中/英/粤. And we don't have a reason to prioritize that over other projects until we license a Cantonese dictionary. Progress continues on that, though, we've still got a couple of irons in the fire...

Would be interested if there is a function to pronounce the Chinese characters in Cantonese as opposed to
having a Cantonese Dictionary. .

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
eastwest168 said:
Would be interested if there is a function to pronounce the Chinese characters in Cantonese as opposed to
having a Cantonese Dictionary. .

Not at the moment, no - many characters have more than one Cantonese pronunciation, so that would be rather tricky to figure out without a Cantonese dictionary, and even with that information it would still be something much less useful than a real Cantonese dictionary - there are many words that are exclusive to Cantonese or that have very different meanings in Cantonese.