Simplification Tables

jiacheng

榜眼
I've created a set of flashcards that contain all simplifications patterns. The card set consists of several tables:
Table 1: 350 Unique simplifications. These patterns are unique (not necessarily 1 to 1), and are not repeated when the character occurs as a component

Table 2: 132 Generalized Simplifications. These patterns occur in the standalone form as well as when the character occurs as a component, unless the character is included in Table 1.

Table 2 Radicals: 14 Generalized radical simplifications. These components are simplified whenever they occur in the traditional form, unless the character occurs in Table 1. Not all the radicals in this table have a standalone encoding in UTF-8, so for these I have chosen the simplest characters to demonstrate the change of the part, for example 學 -> 学 and 澤 -> 泽. So these transformations would occur whenever you encounter the top half of 學 or the right side of 澤.

Variants: Appendix of 39 Merged variant characters. These are not simplifications per se. they are cases where a variant character has been abolished in favor of an already existing simpler variant. for example 佈->布. Both forms previously existed, however the first has been abandoned

T1-0-50, T1-51-100, T1-101-151, etc: These tables contain the same unique simplifications in table 1, but they are broken into sets of 50 sorted by frequency. This should make it easier to study in smaller chunks and also make the most efficient use of your time since you can study the most common ones first.

notes:
I have not included the 35 changed place names from the appendix, or table 3, which is a redundant and non-exhaustive table of simplifications based on the rules of the previous tables.

In place of pinyin, I have included symbols to denote which table the transformation occurs in. I have done this for several reasons. First, the table in which the pattern occurs is important, since you should know if a particular simplification is repeated or unique. Also, you are likely to learn the pronunciation and meaning of of the characters elsewhere. If you still would like to know the pronunciations and meanings, you can still use the pop up functions in pleco to look them up from within the flashcard session.

Importing these cards:
When importing these cards, Select "file only" as the definition source under the "Dicts" option sub-screen. This is important because you do not want these cards linked against any dictionary.

Using these cards:
To study these transformations, I use the following settings:
Force Character Set : Traditional Only, or Simplified Only. This way, only one form is shown to you initially, and then both forms once you reveal the card.
Defn size: 36. You can adjust this one to your needs, but since the alternate form is in the definition, the size should probably be readable.

Attachments

• simp.TXT
    20.8 KB · Views: 860

Yug

秀才
Hello,
I don't understand your file's syntaxe :
床[牀] ○ 床[牀]
布[佈] ○ 布[佈]
它[牠] ○ 它[牠]
why in double ? is it really need ?

after what, order them according to the order of frequency (see this topic) may be more efficient.

Please, if someone know how to do so ! help welcome !

jiacheng

榜眼
Hi Yug,

Yes, it is in fact needed, at least I don't know a better way to do it as of yet. The reason each entry is duplicated is because there is an entry for the simplified form on the simplified headword field, another entry for the traditional form on the traditional headword field, and lastly, both entries in the definition field. The reason for this is, when you set up the test, You will use the option 'force character set = [ traditional only | simplified only]. This is so that only one form is shown in the beginning before you reveal the answer. When the definition field is revealed, it shows both forms. If you only put one form, you would have to create twice as many cards, one set for S->T and another for T->S.

It might be possible to display only simplified, or only traditional in the definition field, as is done for ABC sample sentences, but I have no idea how to do this.

Also, I've made some minor corrections and modifications to some of the tables since the first upload, so just go to the above post and redownload the file to get the corrections.

By the way, These flashcards were created using the following tables as a reference:
http://www.china-language.gov.cn/gfbz/shanghi/002.htm

jiacheng

榜眼
I've been noticing that there are some differences in traditional and simplified forms that don't seem to be covered in these tables. Most of these differences seem to be fairly insignificant, and would be unlikely to cause you to be unable to recognize a character, but probably deserve some mention.

I suspect that the source of some of these anomalies could be that the simplified form was derived from a less common but simpler traditional variant.

Here are a few examples of differences that seem to not be covered by these tables.

别->別
决->決
争->爭
卧->臥
却->卻

Have there been any changes to the simplification standard that I'm unaware of? Is there a list of preferred variants for simplified writing versus traditional? Could someone comment on why these exist and maybe provide us a better understanding of why these seemingly inconsistent transformations exist that don't seem to conform to the standard?

Regardless of the inconsistencies, these tables are still excellent. If you learn these tables well, you will in most cases be able to write and recognize both forms, even out of context. And if you enjoy indulging in vain pleasures, it will definitely earn you some "wow" points since that is something that even most native Chinese speakers cannot do ;).