Showing Taiwanese tones

juang

Hi,

In Taiwan, the pronunciation can often be slightly different (different tone or no neutral tone). Is it possible to have my dictionary search show the Taiwanese tones by default? Also if I have a flash card and I see that one dictionary gives the Taiwanese tone, how do I change the tone on the flash card without converting it to a custom card and losing all the night formatting. Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If you download the free Cross-Straits dictionary and make that the default (drag it to the top in Settings / Manage Dictionaries), that should give you Taiwan pronunciation first in most cases. (we're working on adding a way to let you use Taiwan pronunciations without having that dictionary come up first)

At the moment there's no way to override the Pinyin without overriding the entire flashcard, unfortunately.

rizen suha

状元
how amazing is that! i have wished for this for a long time but deemed it such an exotic request that i never put it forth!

rizen suha

状元
so encouraged by this... please provide some setup where i can have only cn-cn dicts as primary BUT whenever i am inside a flashcard and look up a (cn) word there, choose from another selection of dicts, eg. all cn-en. that way i may focus on chinese whenever possible but when resorting to looking up a specific chinese word in the flashcard i dont go into a chinese maze. exotic, i admit.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There isn't a good way to do that at the moment, I'm afraid - the flashcard definition screen selection can't be configured independently of the regular dictionary search one.

juang

Thanks again! I tried it out, and unfortunately, in the sidebar, it shows the cross-straits definition, which makes it really hard to see what the word means at a glance (which is helpful for seeing if you found a definition that fits the context). I imagine there isn't a way around that, such that the english PLC definition comes up, but with taiwanese pronunciation?

Regarding "(we're working on adding a way to let you use Taiwan pronunciations without having that dictionary come up first)", how can I keep track when that feature comes out? Looking forward to it!