sharing pleco on 2 iphones w same apple id

ssaito

探花
I just upgraded myself and my wife to iphone 4. I recall in forums that if my wife shares my Apple account, she should be able to share a pleco version on her phone as well. Is that still true? If so, how do you set that up? I did it before on our iphone 3g's, but don't remember what i did. Quick search of the forums didnt reveal anything, though i know i've seen this discussed before.

thanks
steve

iphone 4g (!), pleco (the works, plus old windows version and old palm version)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ssaito said:
I just upgraded myself and my wife to iphone 4. I recall in forums that if my wife shares my Apple account, she should be able to share a pleco version on her phone as well. Is that still true? If so, how do you set that up? I did it before on our iphone 3g's, but don't remember what i did. Quick search of the forums didnt reveal anything, though i know i've seen this discussed before.

Install the free version on each phone, then go into the Pleco "Add-ons" tab and tap on the "Restore Purchases" button to reactivate your previous purchases in it.

ssaito

探花
Returns "no place purchases were found for your current active iTunes account", which is odd because I downloaded from iTunes on my wifes phone under my account.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ssaito said:
Returns "no place purchases were found for your current active iTunes account", which is odd because I downloaded from iTunes on my wifes phone under my account.

Did you only purchase Pleco on Palm/WM or did you purchase another copy on iTunes? Your original post made it sound like you'd purchased an iTunes copy, but if you've only got the Palm/WM one then you'd want to go into Settings / Enter Registration ID and re-enter your Registration ID from that license transfer - the one from your old Palm/WM license on your phone and the one from your wife's old license on hers.

ssaito

探花
I don't believe i purchased on itunes, but rather i was part of beta program. however, to get it on the device (and out of beta mode) i downloaded from itunes and entered my registration info.

So on my wife's iphone i should use the palm or windows license? i thought if we had devices sharing a single itunes account, it was all the same license.

Thanks
Steve

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ssaito said:
So on my wife's iphone i should use the palm or windows license? i thought if we had devices sharing a single itunes account, it was all the same license.

Only for purchases made originally on iOS - copies purchased on Palm/WM are done through our own system, and because of the content licenses our Palm/WM apps were distributed under those transferred copies are only good on one device at a time. So you'd want to use one transferred copy on one device and the other copy on the other one - it looks like the one that comes up first on "My Orders" is the one you already transferred, so the Registration ID already listed on My Orders is the one you'd use to activate a device from that license; you can follow the instructions here to transfer over the other one. (sorry for the hassle)

ssaito

探花
Ok thanks. If I transfer my windows mobile version, could I put it on both iPhones, as long as it is under same account for both? This would allow is to share same version of OCR and reverse abc dictionary, whenever apple gets around to unblocking my iTunes payments bc I'm in china - but that's another issue which is covered in another thread in plecoforums.
Steve

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ssaito said:
Ok thanks. If I transfer my windows mobile version, could I put it on both iPhones, as long as it is under same account for both? This would allow is to share same version of OCR and reverse abc dictionary, whenever apple gets around to unblocking my iTunes payments bc I'm in china - but that's another issue which is covered in another thread in plecoforums.

Unfortunately no, but those iTunes purchases can be shared anyway - it doesn't matter if it's two different Palm/WM licenses, you'd purchase the add-ons on one device and then tap on "Restore Purchases" in the Add-ons tab on the other one to activate your newly-purchased items on that device too. It's only the items originally purchased on Palm/WM that pose a problem.

Sorry about the iTunes block - have you tried a VPN yet? Or a gift card?

ssaito

探花
Happy to announce apple enabled my us credit card in china, so was able to purchase OCR. Only took about 1 week. So much for Internet time.

However, I am unable to use the online form to transfer my pleco license for wm/palm to iPhone. Upon submitting form I get a "License not found error, contact Pleco support" error.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Steve

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
One of your licenses was already transferred but because you were beta-testing we left the old Palm/WM one active too - the Registration ID you have is the one for that license. Scroll down and perform the transfer for the other license to get an ID for your wife.

Very sorry for the hassle.

Shaun78

is it possible to transfer from Itunes, I have a perfect copy working on my Ipod touch, but am planning to buy a Iphone 4, so that I can access OCR!, if I do as suggested, it will take almost 500mb of my iphone 4 data....

Thanks,

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If you sync your iPod with iTunes before setting up your new iPhone, you should be able to restore the backed-up iPod applications / data / etc to the iPhone (there'll be a prompt to set up as a new device or restore from a backup when you first sync it) without having to download them again; you'll still have to restore purchases in Pleco, but that uses hardly any data, and you'll automatically get a prompt to do it the first time you open Pleco on the new iPhone.

gobears

I am in the same boat. I gave my iphone 3gs to my wife, which has the original pleco professional additional installed.
I upgraded to an iphone 4, and used itunes to restore my device and all of its apps. However, the restored pleco did not have the professional features.
So, I tried installing the demo of professoional, which I did not know is missing some features like flash cards.
Next, I sent an email to customer service, but have not heard back yet (its only been 1 day).

Finally, I tried to restore purchases, but that did not work either.
Do I need to download all the binaries somehow, and then do the enable?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Try restore purchases again - Apple seems to have fixed their server problem a few hours ago, before that there were a few days where you couldn't restore them at all.

gobears

It worked! Thanks so much!
To show some gratitude, I posted my flashcards of Pimsleur Mandarin 1 phrases, which I think many people will find helpful.

icybeam

This is the best dictionary! I just upgraded to the iphone 4 for OCR as well, but now my pleco doesn't have the document reader nor the flashcards, both which I had been using heavily. I already bought the program for my palm 5 years ago, then transferred it to my ipod touch and purchased those features plus extra dictionaries, and I don't want to have to buy them again when I buy the OCR. How do I get my purchases back?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Go into the Pleco "Settings" tab, tap on the "Registration ID" button, tap "Clear Registration Data," then tap "Enter Registration ID" and enter the ID from your license transfer (you can retrieve it from the My Orders page if you've lost the email). After that, tap on the "Restore iTunes Purchases" button to add back your new items like OCR to the transferred license.

mikelove said:
Go into the Pleco "Settings" tab, tap on the "Registration ID" button, tap "Clear Registration Data," then tap "Enter Registration ID" and enter the ID from your license transfer (you can retrieve it from the My Orders page if you've lost the email). After that, tap on the "Restore iTunes Purchases" button to add back your new items like OCR to the transferred license.

Is this the way how to achieve that I my wife can share the pleco bundle on her new iphone4 and I can still enjoy it on the 3gs for which I bought it in the first place? cause its still unclear for me.

cause like it seems like, its going to deactivate my pleco and activate hers...or?

I am kind of confused as to how to share it on both our devices...

any help guys?

thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
rainbow676 said:
Is this the way how to achieve that I my wife can share the pleco bundle on her new iphone4 and I can still enjoy it on the 3gs for which I bought it in the first place? cause its still unclear for me.

cause like it seems like, its going to deactivate my pleco and activate hers...or?

I am kind of confused as to how to share it on both our devices...

any help guys?

These instructions are specifically for someone who transferred over a license from Palm OS or Windows Mobile; those licenses are limited to use on one device at a time.

Assuming you purchased the software originally on iOS, all you have to do is go into "Add-ons" and tap "Restore iTunes Purchases" to activate your Pleco bundle on her iPhone 4 - no need to deactivate it on your 3GS first.