Separate scores for "show character" and "show definition" cards?

mayxx248

I'm making the transition from Anki and have a question. In Anki, you can create separate cards for one word; one card that shows the character and another card that shows the definition. Thus, these are tested separately, and you can have different scores for each type of card. It seems like the "alternating" function in Pleco is the closest approximation, but it looks like the scores for recognizing characters and the scores for recognizing definitions are conflated into a single card score. For example:

In Anki:
I remember that 男 means "man"-->the "男" card receives a higher score (or vice versa; if I can't remember the meaning, the "男" card loses points)
I remember that the character for "man" is 男-->the "man" card receives a higher score (or vice versa; if I can't remember the character, the "man" card loses points)

In Pleco:
I remember that 男 means "man"-->the overall "男+man" card receives a higher score (or vice versa; if I can't remember the meaning, the overall "男+man" card loses points)
I remember that the character for "man" is 男-->the overall "男+man" card receives a higher score (or vice versa; if I can't remember the meaning, the overall "男+man" card loses points)

So, you can see from this example that in Anki you can test your ability to recognize characters separately from your ability to remember the chinese equivalent of an english word. For example, I might remember that 男 means "man", but if you ask me what the chinese word for "man" is, I draw a blank. In this situation, I would see the 男 card less frequently and the "man" card more frequently. Is there a way to do this in Pleco?

Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
At the moment, the only way to get the behavior you want would be to use two separate profiles. (One for each type of test)

Pedagogically, we think varying test types by score / card history is the best approach, since these aren’t really unrelated “facts” and since it allows cards to advance on a difficulty progression of sorts - in fact, we’re doubling down on this in our upcoming 4.0 update by letting people define “stages” at which a card can alternate between multiple test types. (So that you don’t stop testing on reading once a card advances to the point of writing, you just start seeing it both ways)

However, that 4.0 update will also come with a *very* comprehensive Anki importer (with which we’re hoping to win over a great many Anki users), and that emulates Anki’s independent card behavior by creating multiple “child cards” for a particular parent card (in the importer we turn the note into the parent card and the cards into the child cards) and tracking their scores independently / dispatching them to different test types. So it’ll be possible to get this behavior pretty much exactly in Pleco once that’s out. (Public beta hopefully not too many more months from now...)