Separate Flashcard Database for my Son?

Hi,

I already have many categories and sub-categories for my own flashcards.

Now, I'd like to start a new flashcard category (and sub-categories) for my son, but I'm running into a problem. There will be duplicates. The options are to merge the categories or allow, skip, etc. However, I think it will check the whole database under all the categories and sub-categories. I could use 'allow all duplicates' when I import. But in the future, there may be duplicates in his category that I do not want imported, or merged under his own category, but not under mine.

I guess the only way to make sure the duplicates do not get mixed up in my categories and my son is to have the flashcards in separate databases.
Is there a way to start a brand new database just for my son? Or do I have to purchase a new pleco license and use a different phone to be able to do this?

Thank you in advance for yourhelp.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There’s no way to have two separate databases at the moment except to manually back up / restore them.

However, you can easily have separate flashcard profiles and scorefiles from each other, so that one of you reviewing a particular card won’t affect its score etc for the other. You can create / select a new scorefile in New Test / Scoring. That approach should make duplicates irrelevant for flashcard tests at least.

There’s no way to have two separate databases at the moment except to manually back up / restore them.

However, you can easily have separate flashcard profiles and scorefiles from each other, so that one of you reviewing a particular card won’t affect its score etc for the other. You can create / select a new scorefile in New Test / Scoring. That approach should make duplicates irrelevant for flashcard tests at least.

Yes, I created a new profile & scorefile. But still not clear what I should select for duplicate entries. What do I do when I import a new flashcard set that has duplicates? Do I select 'allow' to just add all duplicates anyway? I definitely shouldn't merge them right? Because it will merge with my flashcard lists from my other profile?

----

Also, on sort of a separate note, I'm a bit confused: When importing, it gives me the option to 1) skip the card, 2) merge cats, 3) update text 4) update and merge, 4) allow, 5) prompt.

When I merge categories, what does that mean exactly? Does that mean the previous scores for the card are merged? Does the duplicate card move into the new flashcard list does not appear in the old list anymore?

Shun

状元
Hi DarkPanther,

unfortunately, I don't think there is an elegant solution to keep all the data of two users cleanly separated on a single Pleco installation. You could use separate categories for each of your other family members, but the problem remains there that whenever you add a word whose card already exists in another category, that card will not be duplicated, but merged with the already existing card. The cards in both categories would then share the same scores and statistics. Swapping out the flashcard databases would work, but it would require a lot of discipline.

So I would suggest buying a budget Android smartphone with a large screen for your family and running a second installation of Pleco using the same Registration ID there. If the Android device and our iPhone share the same Registration ID, they will also share the same purchases, which you need to pay for only once. So that would be a "pay once, use twice" scenario.

Your other questions regarding import settings are fully addressed here. I recommend reading the whole subchapter.

Hope this helps,

Shun

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, I somehow missed your second post.

Duplicates: it's actually perfectly OK to merge them. The same card will end up in both categories, which is probably what you want - statistics will be shared for that card *within the same scorefile*, so you won't review a word you already know again, but they'll still be distinct in each profile, so you and your son can have your statistics tracked separately.

Merge categories: yes, the previous scores would be retained; the card would be added to any categories it wasn't already in but would not be removed from any existing categories.

Shun

状元
That's correct, of course; I'm sorry for preempting your reply. I wanted to relieve you of the work, and I apologize for not thinking that far.

Last edited: