Sentence example on a flashcard

Makesi

Hello, I am using the default pack of HSK 1-6 Flashcards. The app is almost perfect, it has got audio playback, handwriting and premade Flashcards but I don’t know why the sentences doesn’t appear.

My flashcard look like this
1A2855C8-97D9-4066-A7A8-49A8561F4C5A.jpeg F1697E5F-5E3B-4EDD-9EB8-FF989E3DFFC2.jpeg

And I want the reverse side to have sentence examples as in your dictionary, like this

A1A49913-90D5-409E-A849-5A5174F3162C.jpeg

I am waiting for some tips, maybe I did something wrong?

Makesi

Oh my god it’s better than I expected! It even blanks the character in a sentence instead of just not showing it. This app should be just a little bit more user friendly, however the functionalities are top notch!

Kaimi

进士
On a different note, is that a skin for the flashcard module? It looks so different to mine! How can I make it look like that?

Shun

状元
Hi Kaimi,

that's just the iOS look. (It looks a bit like a pre-7 version of iOS, which was when the iOS UI was flattened.) True, Android's interface is a bit "flatter" for now.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It's going to look more like that on iOS too in 4.0, actually; we just haven't had enough complaints about the current system to change it before then.

Istangel

Hi Makesi,

you can enable the display of example sentences in flashcards under Flashcards > New Test > Display, setting Definition sections to Defn + Exes + Links.

After you've studied the built-in HSK flashcards for some time, you can also have a look at either of these flashcard sets:

https://plecoforums.com/threads/18-896-hsk-sentences.5615/
https://plecoforums.com/threads/79-...-italian-japanese-and-spanish-sentences.5925/

Cheers,

Shun
Hi, this doesn't seem to work for me, how is the flashcard supposed to look with that enabled? It looks exactly the same as before for some reason.

Shun

状元
Hi Istangel,

could it be that the flashcards in your set are custom cards, rather than dictionary-based cards? For custom cards, Pleco can't tell which parts of the card are example sentences and which parts are definitions—it can only treat the entire card as untagged text. Also when importing flashcards with definitions, you get custom cards or cards based on user dictionary entries. Also there, Pleco can't know which parts are examples and which parts are definitions.

If you go into Organize Flashcards, tap Edit, select your cards, then tap the Batch button at the bottom, you can choose Rebuild from dict entries to remap the cards to one of your installed dictionaries. (Select the right dictionary under Remap to dictionary first.) Then try taking a test with Defn + Exes + Links or Defn only enabled.

Here's an example of a card without Examples and Links:

without_exes_links.png

Here is the same card with Examples and Links:

with_exes_links.png

Hope this helps,

Shun

Last edited:

Istangel

Hi Istangel,

could it be that the flashcards in your set are custom cards, rather than dictionary-based cards? For custom cards, Pleco can't tell which parts of the card are example sentences and which parts are definitions—it can only treat the entire card as untagged text. Also when importing flashcards with definitions, you get custom cards or cards based on user dictionary entries. Also there, Pleco can't know which parts are examples and which parts are definitions.

If you go into Organize Flashcards, tap Edit, select your cards, then tap the Batch button at the bottom, you can choose Rebuild from dict entries to remap the cards to one of your installed dictionaries. (Select the right dictionary under Remap to dictionary first.) Then try taking a test with Defn + Exes + Links or Defn only enabled.

Here's an example of a card without Examples and Links:

View attachment 3278

Here is the same card with Examples and Links:

View attachment 3277

Hope this helps,

Shun
That definitely helped, thanks a lot, especially for the insanely quick reply!