Search for Lishu character possible?

CWTurner

I would like to find a particular Lishu character from a scroll I have seen, but can't figure out if it is possible to do this <without> knowing the modern character form. And I don't! Can anyone advise if this is possible? I tried handwriting the character in Li style but no luck.

Shun

状元
Hi CWTurner,

it probably can't be done automatically by drawing a 隶书 character in a character recognizer, but if you can find a table of all 2000-4000 common 隶书 characters, finding a particular character should be a relatively quick process. (It should be even quicker if they are ordered by radicals, of course.)

You could also run a couple of guesses through this Chinese character search engine, it has a lot of pictures of 隶书:

Hope this helps (at least a bit),

Shun

JD

状元
I would like to find a particular Lishu character from a scroll I have seen, but can't figure out if it is possible to do this <without> knowing the modern character form. And I don't! Can anyone advise if this is possible? I tried handwriting the character in Li style but no luck.
You could post a picture and see if anybody recognizes it.

CWTurner

I've not been able to find the character in the Li dictionaries I have. Thanks for the suggestions. Here is a photo of the character, taken from Deng Shiru's four hanging scrolls of "Master Cheng's Admonition on Seeing, Hearing, Words and Actions":
Cheng.jpeg

Thanks for all the help.

Shun

状元
You're welcome!

Right after rizen: I'm not a 隶书 expert, but shouldn't it be this character (a variant form of 哲, with the two horizontal stroke having been merged into one)?

IMG_3131.png

I've enabled the full set of recognizable characters under Settings > Handwriting Input.

jurgen85

榜眼
You could ask Chinese StackExchange, they often have good answers to these kinds of questions. In my amateur opinion it could be 喆, as 土 tǔ and 士 shì were historically substituted in other characters like 在.

CWTurner

Ah, I was thinking it was "cao" the grass radical over one horizontal stroke. rizen and Shun I think you are correct, certainly makes sense in the translation I do have of this calligraphy. I am very grateful to you both for the help. I have a couple of other characters that are unclear, that I think I'll put on Chinese StackExchange, jurgen85, thank you very much too.

JD

状元
Ah, I was thinking it was "cao" the grass radical over one horizontal stroke. rizen and Shun I think you are correct, certainly makes sense in the translation I do have of this calligraphy. I am very grateful to you both for the help. I have a couple of other characters that are unclear, that I think I'll put on Chinese StackExchange, jurgen85, thank you very much too.

Did you try turning on the full handwriting stroke recognition (as @Shun said) and see if it finds anything? When I tried drawing your posted pic, it popped right up in Pleco as one of the suggestions. You could try that with your other images.

CWTurner

JD, yes, as soon as I saw Shun's post-- and I am continually surprised by the parts of Pleco I haven't utilized! : ) Your suggestion is a good one and I'll keep niggling around in my searches.

Reactions: JD