SD Card

liao

I'm wondering if anyone has had this experience. Twice in the past month, my Palm (Zire 72) has failed to read my SD card. In fact it doesn't list it as being available and when I check the card utility it says I have a Toshiba card with size: none. In fact I have a 512 Kingston.

Does anyone know what's happening. This is the second time I cannot Plecodict this month. (The message says: Cannot locate any dictionary files. Please double-check that you've correctly installed the files to RAM or the/PALM/Launcher directory on your flash memory card.)

Thanks.

lmcjipo

榜眼
Not sure if you have the same problem as I sometimes have with my Treo 650 but when my Treo 650 goes through a soft reset, the SD memory card is not immediately detected. I either have to wait a few minutes or turn on and turn off the screen of my Treo 650 for the SD card to be detected. I am experiencing this with a 2GB SD memory card (I believe that it is a Panasonic memory card).

liao

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately, its been unable to detect the SD card for days now. The only thing that seems to help is if I re-format the card. But then I wipe away all my information.

Could it be a defective SD card? Its odd and I have little experience with PDAs and SD cards because I pretty much use mine only to run the flashcards on Plecodict.

lmcjipo said:
Not sure if you have the same problem as I sometimes have with my Treo 650 but when my Treo 650 goes through a soft reset, the SD memory card is not immediately detected. I either have to wait a few minutes or turn on and turn off the screen of my Treo 650 for the SD card to be detected. I am experiencing this with a 2GB SD memory card (I believe that it is a Panasonic memory card).

liao said:
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately, its been unable to detect the SD card for days now. The only thing that seems to help is if I re-format the card. But then I wipe away all my information.
If You Have A Card Reader You Should Be Able To Backup Your SD Card To A Computer Before Re-formatting The Card.

liao

Thanks for the tip. I'll do that this weekend. However, that's assuming there is still information on the card--the Palm says no, in fact it doesn't recognize it, but I can't imagine that the information keeps disappearing, so maybe its there but invisible to the Palm.

The Duelist said:
liao said:
If You Have A Card Reader You Should Be Able To Backup Your SD Card To A Computer Before Re-formatting The Card.

LaoWang

秀才
I just read this on the Plecodict buy-pda-guidelines:
"The Treos require an SD card in order to run the Professional or Complete edition of PlecoDict"

Does that mean the Treo 680 does not come with a SD card?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No, they're almost never included with handhelds. They're quite inexpensive, though - a 256 MB card should be around US$10 in many electronics stores. (they're also used in digital cameras so they're very widely available)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No, but it's about the smallest size you're likely to find - a 128 or even a 64 MB card would be fine for the current version, but since they cost about the same as a 256 nowadays they're fairly rare. (even 256s are getting less and less common)

We haven't nailed down the memory requirements for version 2.0 yet, but for the complete set of audio files it'll probably be either a 512 MB or a 1 GB card; if you want to make sure you're completely future-proof a 1 GB card might be the best bet. (and even those can be found for under $20 in lots of places)

I'm looking at buying a new SD card in anticipation of the 2.0 release. My 512 mb is pretty full. I'm comparing 1 GB and 2 GB prices and remember reading something in the forums that a 4 GB won't work on a Palm but I can't find it in a search. Will a 4 GB work, or is 2 GB the largest?

ipsi

状元
4GB cards will work on some Palm devices - the Treo 680 is one, and people have reported success with some 4GB cards (Not SDHC ones though) on the TX, and the 650 (and some others, I assume) can be loaded with drivers for support of SDHC 4GB+ cards. But 2GB is the largest safe bet, I'm afraid.

Aunty

举人
I just noticed the original message was about a Zire72. I use one of them every day, it's my favourite. Both this one and my first one had similar small problems with the SDCards (various 1GB and 2GB cards). Sometimes when you put the card in, it doesn't recognise it. I have to pop the card out, then in again, and it's fine then. Sometimes it needs three goes to figure it out.

Having said that, this is my mp3 player so that card gets taken out once or twice every day for refilling, and the problem occurs maybe a couple of times a week. Point is, they can be a bit slow and vague about recognising cards sometimes, but given another chance they rebound. In my case, the problem never gets any worse. Perhaps yours too is another one of the Zire72's (ahem...) delightful little quirks.

budafu

I know that a Tungsten e2 is pretty much limited to no more than a 1.5 g card. Since 1.5's are pretty much extinct, you have to stay with a 1g card.