screen size/ smartphone recommendation

tuvia

举人
i am switching from a tungsten e2 to a smartphone; i would like to have a smaller phone than the treo, but my eyesight requires that i have a larger screen size. are there any other models that anyone could recommend other than the treos? as in, something with a large screen, good with pleco, and perhaps less prone to crashing than what i hear about the treos. thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The best choice for that would be one of the sliding-keyboard HTC models like the TyTN II (a.k.a. the "Tilt") - just as bulky as the Treo, unfortunately, if not bulkier, but it does have a significantly larger screen, and since the Windows Mobile version of Pleco supports variable font sizes and magnified headword characters (the latter are also coming to the Palm version in 2.0) it can also take better advantage of that screen.

Once we release an iPhone version of Pleco, that would give you an even bigger screen and a slightly smaller form factor than those other phones, though I'm afraid that release is still a long way off.

Shadowdh

状元
I will second what Mike says about the TyTN II, I have one and its excellent in terms of readability. In fact I was pleasantly surprised at how well it did in this area.

tuvia

举人
thanks for the recommendation- i will check that model out. hopefully i will be able to find it here in beijing.

goulniky

榜眼
How does Pleco handle 320x320 on WM6?

I have an HTC which has been giving me lots of problems lately, I was thinking of switching to a SonyEricson X1 (Xperia) when it comes out, but now that I have seen the Samsung SGH-i780, I think I may go for it, such a slim device, and having to slide the keyboard back and forth proves to be quite cumbersome.

The SGH-i780 has a touchscreen, keyboard and trackball, , but a 2.55" screen, 320x320 resolution on WM6 : which resolution will Pleco use, how about Pleco2 ?

Incidentally, the XPERIA has an announced screen resolution of 800 x 480 (3")

Thx

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We're not sure how 320x320 works in 1.0, but we've successfully gotten it working in 2.0 with some tweaking. It doesn't look as polished as 240 or 480, though, at least to my eyes - not just in Pleco but the whole Pocket PC interface just feels a bit "odd" in that resolution, fonts are perfectly readable but don't quite look as smooth (I don't know if the hinting in Tahoma is as well-optimized for that size), icons/graphics/menus etc are all a bit "off." Hopefully in WM7 they'll improve matters a bit but it's no guarantee they'll make that update available for the i780. So at the very least I'd recommend trying one out in a store and making sure it looks OK to you before ordering one.

The XPERIA should both work and look fine, though - there's a bug in Microsoft's emulator for 800x480 that's kept us from properly testing on it, but we've tested at 400x240 and 640x480 and both of those look fine so worst-case it'll just need a small patch once we actually get our hands on an 800x480 device.