Screen Reader not working

Nando

秀才
My Screen Reader function isn't working. I tried turning it on and back off and I tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling it and it doesn't work.

It just gives me the service inactive message. What should I do to make it work again?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
What brand / model of phone do you have and what version of Android is it running? Do you have the latest version of Pleco? Does the service show as active when you go into accessibility settings?

Nando

秀才
I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and my Android version is 7.0.

I don't have the option to update, so I assume I have the newest version. And I keep turning the service on and off in my Accessibility Settings, but it keeps on giving me the same message.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's odd, one of our main test devices is that same configuration and we have no trouble with Screen Reader on that. Are you using any other accessibility plugins? Is this the standard stock Samsung version of Android?

Nando

秀才
All other accessibility services I have are turned off. I have the stock version of Android. I assume it's something on the phone that's causing this, but I really have no idea what it is or how to fix it. Any ideas?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... only other thing I can think of is that somehow the copy of Pleco you downloaded is corrupted. Try uninstalling it again, then install a copy directly from our website by typing:

pleco.com/getandroid

in your phone's web browser; does that one work any better?