Review flashcards that are excluded from all sessions

HW60

状元
I have quite a lot of flashcards, and many of them are "excluded from all sessions". From time to time I would like to do a random review with some of the excluded flashcards. Is there an easy way to do it?

Shun

状元
Hi HW60,

you could search for all excluded cards by selecting "priority" -> "exclude from pool" in the flashcard search, and then copy them all to a new, empty (sub-)category. See the following screenshot:

IMG_4055.png

Hope this helps,

Shun

HW60

状元
Whereever the cards are, they are still excluded and therefore will not show up. I made a review with a time filter for cards that had last been reviewed 2 or more years ago - still does not find excluded cards.

Shun

状元
You're right, they are found but still excluded; we have to "un-exclude" them, as well. When you've found the excluded cards using the method above, you can select them all and Batch apply the priority 3 to them, as seen here:

IMG_4056.png

That will probably do it. Edit: To be safe, you probably have to make real copies, otherwise they lose their "excluded" status for when you don't want to be tested on them. That's why I tend to add cards I don't want to an additional category, which I then exclude from tests.

Regards,

Shun

HW60

状元
Thank you - I will try it. Probably to copy the excluded cards is necessary only about once a year.

HW60

状元
In Android, I can "Add cards to category". When I do that with the excluded cards, all excluded cards have the additional category I created for them, so Pleco does "Add category to cards" instead of "Add cards to category".
The only command that could help would be "Export cards", but then I would have to reimport the cards and think about all problems arising form duplicate cards - that would no longer be the easy way I was looking for. Probably it is best to wait for Pleco 4.0 ...

Shun

状元
Yes, that's right. I would simply add them to a new category named "Excluded cards", then set them all to the standard priority 3. When doing a flashcard test, you are then free to set a card filter to exclude all cards inside "Excluded cards". That way, there is no need to make "real" copies/duplicates. I'm sorry to have misled you a little bit.

HW60

状元
I think that is too difficult, if not impossible, at any rate not easy. I exclude every day some cards, and all cards are within an old and complicated structure of categories/subcategories. I can only change by BATCH commands on a card basis, not on a category basis. The new Excluded cards category would increase the hierarchy by 1, so I would have to drop my actually lowest category - I can only see lots of problems. Maybe in 4.0 there is a simple card selection / card filter for excluded cards, who knows? And by the way I really just wanted to confirm from time to time that it was right to exclude some of my excluded cards!

Shun

状元
Why not put the excluded cards in an "Excluded" category at the top of the category hierarchy, so that the card is in two places, the "Excluded" category, and in the hierarchical structure? That would make the Excluded category easy to reach when you wish to add to it.

HW60

状元
Maybe that it works, but the necessary batches are somewhat dangerous. Fortunately I had made a backup of my flashcards - now I quit searching for an easy solution and wait for 4.0. Thank you!