req: put Pleco on tapatalk

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
JimmyTheSaint said:
Any chance of putting these boards on tapatalk? Much easier to read the forum using our Android devices:

http://www.tapatalk.com/

I'd rather just use a mobile skin than require people to download a separate app, but adding one of those is definitely on our to-do list.

Not sure what a "mobile skin" is--you mean a dedicated app for the Pleco forums? But it would be nice to consolidate forum access with one app, so I'm recommending tapatalk since I already use it for several boards.

scykei

榜眼
JimmyTheSaint said:
Not sure what a "mobile skin" is--you mean a dedicated app for the Pleco forums? But it would be nice to consolidate forum access with one app, so I'm recommending tapatalk since I already use it for several boards.
Mobile screen will allow easier viewing on a mobile web browser.

garysaville

进士
I would like Tapatalk support as well. It's a fully featured forum app, it's cheap, it has a great interface. I do more forum reading on it than on my desktop.

Best,
G

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
JimmyTheSaint said:

No, I mean a different set of HTML so that it loads as a mobile-optimized web page - no need to use any app to get a mobile-friendly version.

garysaville said:
I would like Tapatalk support as well. It's a fully featured forum app, it's cheap, it has a great interface. I do more forum reading on it than on my desktop.

Fair point, but I really don't look forward to getting those emails - "You expect me to pay for another app just to access your DISCUSSION FORUM? How dare you!"

forums that offer tapatalk access also still have Web interfaces so no one has to buy anything they don't want to. Also, tapatalk provides much more convenient tools for tracking threads and participation than even a mobile-optimized board. At home, I even prefer tapatalk on my phone to my desk computer's full size screen. tapatalk's a win-win.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
JimmyTheSaint said:
forums that offer tapatalk access also still have Web interfaces so no one has to buy anything they don't want to. Also, tapatalk provides much more convenient tools for tracking threads and participation than even a mobile-optimized board. At home, I even prefer tapatalk on my phone to my desk computer's full size screen. tapatalk's a win-win.

Well they wouldn't necessarily see it that way - a prompt telling you to buy this app in order to access a mobile version of the forum is going to annoy a lot of people. But we could consider it if we also had a mobile skin in place (so you had a perfectly good mobile experience without it) and if we could configure it so that it wouldn't bug people to download Tapatalk when they visit our forums from a mobile browser (so it would only be usable by people who found about about it via a discreet banner link or somesuch). Not sure if the latter is even something they allow, though.

mikelove said:
Well they wouldn't necessarily see it that way - a prompt telling you to buy this app in order to access a mobile version of the forum is going to annoy a lot of people. But we could consider it if we also had a mobile skin in place (so you had a perfectly good mobile experience without it) and if we could configure it so that it wouldn't bug people to download Tapatalk when they visit our forums from a mobile browser (so it would only be usable by people who found about about it via a discreet banner link or somesuch). Not sure if the latter is even something they allow, though.

I too would love to see these forums on Tapatalk, as I'd remember to check them more often.

http://www.tapatalk.com/faq.php

Taptalk is a plugin that you add to phpBB and other bulletin boards that allows easy access from the tapatalk app. I'm fairly certain that mobile users without Tapatalk wouldn't be given any prompt nor really any way of knowing it was in use, and as such wouldn't really have any reason to complain as you mentioned. What it does is allow anyone with the app to easily navigate to the forum with their existing registration, browse it, subscribe to specific forums, reply and otherwise participate from their mobile device.

XDA, RootZWiki and several other forums I frequent both have their own app, a mobile friendly page, and the tapatalk plugin; it's nice to use them all from the same place.

Yeah, I had thought Tapatalk was a fairly simple add-on that admins could add on rather transparently, or I wouldn't have recommended it. I was surprised when Mike pointed out the complications in terms of managing his customers. But mitchej123's link seems to indicate that it indeed could be painlessly added to pleco forums.

mikelove said:
Fair point, but I really don't look forward to getting those emails - "You expect me to pay for another app just to access your DISCUSSION FORUM? How dare you!"

FWIW, Tapatalk has been free on getjar gold for some time: http://www.getjar.com/mobile/237628/tap ... 9B&lang=en

Getjar gold isn't a guaranteed permanent freebie, but I've been following it for several months and haven't actually noticed many apps coming off the list.

I love tapatalk too. Mobile html quality varies wildly, as does ease of use. Tapatalk is more standardized and does allow quick checking of multiple sites. I probably wouldn't use a mobile site much. I probably would use Tapatalk regularly. Just my two cents. I didn't understand all the fuss myself, till I started using it.

mfcb

状元
and tapatalk is free of charge in the samsung app store ... +1 for the requests to provide tapatalk access to plecoforums :lol:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I see you updated the forums since the last time I logged in. Is there any possibility of making them usable with Tapatalk?

I'm antsy about doing that because we're looking at integrating logins between the forum and a few other places and it's possible that that integration might be incompatible with Tapatalk - offering it for a little while and then taking it away would be worse than not offering it at all.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Still planning on integrated logins (and a lot of other nifty web stuff) so again I'm worried about adding Tapatalk and then having to remove it.