Remove duplicates from existing flashcard database

dylanious

秀才
Hello,

I imported flashcards from a number of sources. Each time I imported I thought I chose to add duplicate to category. But now I have some duplicate cards in my database. Is it possible to search for duplicate cards and merge their scores? I would still like the cards to be present in multiple categories.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I'm afraid we don't support automatic duplicate merging at the moment - you can manually delete duplicated cards, but the scores won't add together that way.

pdwalker

状元
you could do it manually by exporting the flash cards as xml, cleaning up that xml and then reimporting the flash card database fresh.

that's what i did after screwing things up on mine. i'll have to warn you, it's one heck of a lot of work (worth it in my case) and it helps if OCD sounds like fun to you.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This should be fixed in 4.0 (or 4.1) - we're logging a lot more card data and because of that it will now be mathematically possible to merge two cards and reconstruct the score / difficulty as if they had been one card the whole time.

But that won't work with history imported from v3 - for now if you turn on the option in Settings / Flashcards to show card statistics on list views, that will at least let you easily see which of a pair of duplicates in a duplicate search was studied more + delete the one that was studied less.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No, still working on that update. (it's a biiiig update) My best suggestion at the moment would still be that you view a list of duplicate cards in Organize with statistics and manually delete the extras.

No, still working on that update. (it's a biiiig update) My best suggestion at the moment would still be that you view a list of duplicate cards in Organize with statistics and manually delete the extras.
Thanks for the info and congratulations on your updates