Reader/OCR: tap-select problems

etm001

状元
Hi,

I'm having problems tap-selecting text.
  1. Reader web browser:
    1. I can't reliably short tap (to trigger a pop-up definition) or long-tap (to bring up the magnifier/cursor) characters on the far right-hand side of the screen. Most times no response will be registered by Pleco. Other times, the tap is interpreted as a tap on the scroll bar.
    2. I can reliably short tap text in the middle of the screen, but long tapping doesn't consistently work.
  2. Reader clipboard: same problem - I can't reliable select text on the far right-hand side of the screen. However, I've noticed that if I increase the size of the font, from the default of 22 to something much larger, the problem is resolved.
  3. Still OCR: after taking a picture Pleco presents a screen in which you can resize the OCR recognition area, etc. If I take a picture of a full page of text, and select either the top right or the top left resize handles for the OCR recognition box, Pleco will register my taps as either selecting the Settings icon or the side bar icon. It's important to note that this only happens when the default OCR box is generated at it's maximum size (i.e., when taking a picture of a full page), which places the top resize controls close to the Settings/side bar icons.
This is a perplexing problem because I don't have problems tapping or selecting text in other applications, such as Notes, Safari, Gmail, etc.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
iPad or iPhone?

Long-pressing in the web browser is definitely unreliable at the moment - basically, we don't yet know of a way to make our tap gesture play nicely with Apple's tap-hold, so if you trigger the former then you probably can't trigger the latter. This one we'll revisit after we go iOS-8-only and get to build around the nice new web browser component Apple's introduced in that.

Short-tap problems I'm less sure about - have you enabled our favorites bar? If so, does disabling it fix this?

With still OCR, if the handles are right next to those buttons then it seems like that behavior is preferable to making the buttons un-tappable - can't you simply zoom the document a bit farther out in this case? Might make sense for us to intentionally shrink it a bit so that there's less of a chance of an initial overlap.

etm001

状元
Hi,

I'm using an iPhone 5s.

Short-tap problems I'm less sure about - have you enabled our favorites bar? If so, does disabling it fix this?
I did have the favorites bar enabled, but disabling it doesn't seem to make a difference.
can't you simply zoom the document a bit farther out in this case?
Sure, I can zoom out. I was just surprised that my tap was being registered on the settings/side bar icons, since there was a fairly noticeable gap between those icons and the resize controls.

Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We think we've rigged up a way to make selections in the reader a bit more forgiving in 3.1.4, and we've also made the tap detection system in OCR err on the side of assuming you're tapping on a corner for still images at least.