Reader Functionality

rohr4842

I have been using the MDBG Chinese Reader software for several years now and have only recently bought a Pleco license because I only recently had my first mobile device. The MDBG Reader does not require me to copy and paste any text, I can just hover over any charcter in a website, Office document or even PDF and I get instant translation. Why isn't that possible with Pleco?

scykei

榜眼
PDF support is coming with the use of OCR in the big update. But you can already read websites.

First, go to any Chinese website with the built-in Web Reader. Touch the address bar and switch it to Live. Reload the page and now you can tap on words to reveal definitions!

rohr4842

With the MDBG software I can use my own browser, like Firefox or others and the software will automatically show the translation for a character when the cursor hovers over it. For Pleco it seems I need to use its inbuilt browser and cannot use Safari. Furthermore it says in the manual that Live Mode is not really recommended unless the web sites are small. Why can't you offer the same functionality that MDBG does in a mobile device? Does it have to do with the platform (mobile device vs. PC)?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
rohr4842 said:
Why can't you offer the same functionality that MDBG does in a mobile device? Does it have to do with the platform (mobile device vs. PC)?

That's exactly it, yes - Apple locks down iOS so that apps can't spy on what other apps are doing like they can on Windows/Mac. (I believe MDBG's app actually figures out what text is under the cursor using an interface designed for screen readers for the blind, something that iOS doesn't currently allow third-party solutions for) Our current solution is about the best we can do, though we certainly plan to continue refining it to improve speed and compatibility with more web pages.

ckatt

状元
mikelove said:
rohr4842 said:
Why can't you offer the same functionality that MDBG does in a mobile device? Does it have to do with the platform (mobile device vs. PC)?

That's exactly it, yes - Apple locks down iOS so that apps can't spy on what other apps are doing like they can on Windows/Mac. (I believe MDBG's app actually figures out what text is under the cursor using an interface designed for screen readers for the blind, something that iOS doesn't currently allow third-party solutions for) Our current solution is about the best we can do, though we certainly plan to continue refining it to improve speed and compatibility with more web pages.
If this is an iOS problem why don't we have something like this on Android?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ckatt said:

Google does the same thing on Android - I was responding to this particular poster who was in the iOS forum.

ckatt

状元
mikelove said:
ckatt said:

Google does the same thing on Android - I was responding to this particular poster who was in the iOS forum.
Really! That's great. Mike you are helpful as always!