Radical Dictionary & Flashcards - iOS/Android tested

ldolse

状元
Re: Radical Dictionary

I think on Palm you would need to rename sun-extA.ttf to simsun.ttc or whatever the Pleco font is called, and then replace it.

ipsi

状元

Pleco's fonts consist of files called something like font22.pdb, font24.pdb, etc, and I imagine they have a very different structure internally, so you can't just rename them as far as I'm aware.

bernard

Radidict.pdb seems to be not recognized as a dictionary
by pleco2 beta on my palm tx: it does not appear in the dictionary list.

bernard

ipsi

状元

That's because there's a new dictionary format for 2.0, and it won't recognise 1.0 dictionaries. At some point, there'll be a conversion Program released, but until it is the dictionary won't be an awful lot of use, I'm afraid :(.

ldolse

状元

Yes, the 2.0 dictionary compiler will be required for 2.0 compatibility. I have been working on some updates to the dictionary based on the feedback in the thread, and I found some new information sources as well - should be a decent update once 2.0 is released.

goog1e

举人

I only have the beta installed so I'm really looking forward to the conversion of this dict to Pleco 2. Hopefully that day will be soon :)

ldolse

状元

The current version is only 1.0 compatible. I've been working on an update for 2.0, it's almost done, hopefully I can get it done today. I'm basically done with the entries, just working on getting the sort order completed.

*Update* - Will probably be another day or so. Dictionary is done, but need to find out how to keep it from being treated like the regular User C-E dictionary.

ldolse

状元

Mike, the .pqb extension for 2.0 isn't allowed, can you update the attachment settings for phpbb to allow it?

ldolse

状元

Thanks!

The updated, 2.0 compatible dictionary is posted. It's a significant update, check the first post for details, and as always feedback is welcome. I'm going to work on some other component information next, and I'll also work on getting a flashcard list for the top 2000 or so characters that's based on radical/component.

Note the dictionary update is only for 2.0, the 1.0 file is still posted but is unchanged. If there are any 1.0 users out there that aren't upgrading and really want the updates let me know and I can put one together. The flashcard list is compatible with either version.

ldolse

状元
Re: Radical Dictionary & Flashcards - updated for 2.0

Anyone who downloaded the original flashcards will have a duplicated top level category of 'radicals' and 'Radicals', as category names are case sensitive. You can merge the two together easily enough with the 'manage categories' pane. The file is now fixed, but there were a half a dozen downloads of the previous one, FYI.

I've gotten one report that the flashcard import really isn't working quite right on Palm, but I believe the dictionary itself does function. I haven't had trouble on Windows Mobile, but if anyone does let me know, I'll keep testing on my side.

Thanks very much for all this - exactly what I was looking for.

I was one of the half-dozen downloaders and forgive your original lack of attention to detail :D

goog1e

举人

Thanks!

Using the latest Pleco 2 rc here and the dictionary works great. I haven't installed the replacement font -- seems that only about 10 radicals don't show up in the dictionary, although they still have descriptions and sometimes pronouncuations. The flashcards imported fine on Pleco for WM6.

Great work ldolse! This will be extremely helpful for my studying.

ldolse

状元

Westmeadboy, you're very welcome, hope the categories weren't too difficult to straighten out after the fact.

Google, glad it's working for you. Out of curiousity, do you have your own personal user dictionary in Pleco as well? One of the thoughts in the bug thread was that import problems may arise out of having two user dictionaries at once.

goog1e

举人

ldolse said:
Google, glad it's working for you. Out of curiousity, do you have your own personal user dictionary in Pleco as well? One of the thoughts in the bug thread was that import problems may arise out of having two user dictionaries at once.

I haven't created my own personal user dictionary. Some of my flashcards have custom definitions in each of them but that's it.

santiago

举人

Just a big thanks you for your work and for sharing it with us.

renovator

榜眼

Idolse:

Thanks for the great conversion to 2.0

I have a few minor problems with getting flashcards to come up for a few of the radicals. In the top 25 radicals for example, only 22 cards show up in test mode. I do not get a flash card for ri4 (sun;day) and zhu3, or rou4. I have installed the Sun-ExtA fonts. When I go to the Rad dictionary, I do see the ri4 (sun;day) headword and definition, as well as for zhu3 and rou4 in that dictionary. Test cards are repetition-spaced. Test type Free-Answer, Show-Headword, Askfor-Pronunciation. When I go to Manage Flashcards>Top25 and look at those three entries using “i” everything looks normal and it does show those cards as never reviewed.

Any ideas?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

Probably related to the bug with mapping flashcards to user dictionaries that's been reported here before - for now, a better way to get this added to your flashcards would be to just import the full text into flashcards but not use the separate dictionary with it.