Quick search for an English word

michau

秀才
As a non-native speaker of English, I often need to look up some of the English words that appear in the definitions. In the iOS version I often long-tap a word and click on the magnifying glass icon, to look up the word in my user English dictionary. On Android it takes much more time: I need to long-tap the word, choose Copy, clear the input field, long-tap on it and choose Paste. Could something be done with it? I'm sure there are many people who need a dictionary to understand some of the words in the English definitions. I don't know if it's hard to do, but the ideal solution would be to display a popup after tapping on an English word, just like it's displayed after tapping on a Chinese word.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Why not just "Share" the highlighted text with Pleco? That should only take one more tap than the magnifying glass does on iOS. We'll look into whether there's any way we can add our own search button to the Android system text selection bar - I believe there actually is, we just haven't had anybody ask for that before.

michau

秀才
Thanks for the quick response, as always. When I make a selection in Pleco, I don't see any "Share" option. Only "Select All" and "Copy" are available. If "Share" and/or magnifying glass button could be added, that would be great! The other buttons could be put there too... (the ones that are displayed when the user taps on a Chinese character and the popup is shown)

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's odd - there's no 'share' command in the bar at the top of the screen? What model of Android phone are you using and what version of Android is it running?