Questions about using a Chinese Cell Phone

Dan_78cj5

举人
I am using a Motorola L7 SLVR that I bought while in China (currently I'm back in the states) and have input many frinds phone numbers into my phone book by their Chinese name in characters. I cannot figure out how it sorts them, or how to search it easily to find the one I am looking for. For example, if I am in the phone book and push the ABC key once it goes to the names that start with A, twice it goes to the first name that starts with a B, and three times it goes to names that start with a C. But how do you search through all the character names to get directly to 王 黄 杨 or 李 without having to scroll through every name?

ipsi

状元
Not quite sure what you mean.

Do you want to go directly to a given name, or merely to all the ones starting with 王、黄、 杨 or 李?

If the first, that won't happen. If the second, then you should be able to search via pinyin, but for that you may have to change the phone language to Chinese. I know that on my Nokia, for some fucking perverse reason, I couldn't get it to search for my Chinese contacts via pinyin if the phone was using English as the display language. So try changing it to Chinese, and see if that makes a difference.

Dan_78cj5

举人
Yes, I didn't mean any specific name, but I just want to search to the Chinese names that I have inputted. Since I listed them family name first I expect it to search by family name. So anyway, I swithced language as suggested, now I go directly to the names starting with that letter in pinyin, ex. hitting #9 (wxyz) goes directly to 王, BUT now it doesn't recognize the english entries. I guess I could switch the settings each time I am looking for a name, but that may be slower than just scrolling. I guess its not a bilingual device, but rather one that can be either language and really not both at the same time very well.

Anyway, thanks for the idea.

ipsi

状元
That's a bit of a pain. My Nokia would at least bring up both the Chinese and the English if the phone was set to Chinese. Oh well.