Pros/Cons of Pleco 3.0

Pros

Handwriting
Can undo last stroke in handwriting and avoid having to rewrite the whole character. A seemingly small thing but it's brilliant. I think it was available on the Android version already.

Reader
Similar to pdf in navigating. Love this as it's much quicker now to navigate in a longer file.
Addition of accessing recent documents is a God send. Saves lots of navigating between menus when scanning different pages and putting them in the same document.
Went messing with the foreground/background colours and luckily there was a reset default button. Simple things like this and a big difference.
Just being able to read PDFs is fantastic.

Lyrics reader
Option to save lyrics to file on Pleco is very useful for flash carding it find.

Sidebar
So much more convenient to access everything.

Cons

When trying to check the stroke order of a character in Pleco 2.3 I could type, for example, type 'classroom' into the search box. From the results list I could select the appropriate result. Then if I wanted to just see the character on its own in large font with a plain white background I could tap it and select the isometric icon which I found great when practicing drawing a new character as there was no clutter. 3.0 looks like it has dropped the option of viewing a character on its own in large font with a plain background. Also, upon selecting a double barrel word (not sure if this is the correct terminology), let's use 交室 again as the example, I could select the 室 part and then tap the 字 icon and check out check out how the Details, Strokes,, Characters and Words. 3.0 seems to be a little bit more awkward to get into stroke order than 2.3 although I may be missing something in the settings?
Edit: the zoom option in Settings>Dictionary Definition>Popup Definition>Show Zoom Button is the solution to this. So a flawless update. :)

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks! Undo was available on iOS too, actually, but through a well-hidden option that nobody seems to have bothered to turn on.

Glad you found the zoom button. (had to move that to make room for the clipboard button, so that we could combine the tap-hold and tap selection gestures and eliminate a chronic source of user confusion)

For stroke order drill-downs, go into the CHARS tab and you'll see a link to each constituent character's entry - same two taps as the old 字 button.