Projecting Pleco on iPhone 4

Bought a VGA cable for iPhone 4 so I could connect it to a projector and use show Pleco to others only to find out it only works with Video Out, it won't display what's on the homescreen or apps that don't have video out. Does anyone use Pleco with a projector on an iPhone 4? Don't fancy jail breaking it and can't afford upgrade to iPhone 4S in which you can mirror anything on iPhone.

Do Pleco have plans to include video out feature to cater for this?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
pprendeville said:
Bought a VGA cable for iPhone 4 so I could connect it to a projector and use show Pleco to others only to find out it only works with Video Out, it won't display what's on the homescreen or apps that don't have video out. Does anyone use Pleco with a projector on an iPhone 4? Don't fancy jail breaking it and can't afford upgrade to iPhone 4S in which you can mirror anything on iPhone.

We don't support this right now, but it's certainly a possibility for the future - basically we just have to establish whether there's enough demand for it (as it's pretty tricky to implement). What would you be using it for? A presentation of some kind, or just seeing text more clearly yourself?

mikelove said:
pprendeville said:

We don't support this right now, but it's certainly a possibility for the future - basically we just have to establish whether there's enough demand for it (as it's pretty tricky to implement). What would you be using it for? A presentation of some kind, or just seeing text more clearly yourself?

Well I'd be mainly using it at home as my wife is Chinese and we like to practice my Chinese characters together. She says a word and I type it out on Pleco. It would be handy for her to be able to see what I'm typing. I know Pleco tells me whtether the character is correct or not but I guess it's a nice for her to be able to see what I'm doing on a big screen as opposed to me just communicating with the phone. I'm in 1st year in college and am the only student using Pleco on an iPhone and the others don't realise what they're missing. Would like the chance to convert a few of them by showing them the full range of features available. It's so user friendly and the main tool I use to learn & I can't understand why students with iPhones don't purchase it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
pprendeville said:
Well I'd be mainly using it at home as my wife is Chinese and we like to practice my Chinese characters together. She says a word and I type it out on Pleco. It would be handy for her to be able to see what I'm typing. I know Pleco tells me whtether the character is correct or not but I guess it's a nice for her to be able to see what I'm doing on a big screen as opposed to me just communicating with the phone.

That makes a lot of sense, yes. I can also imagine it being useful for parents teaching kids, and perhaps even for classroom teachers who want to pull up a stroke order diagram or somesuch for reference (though that depends on how many classrooms have Apple TVs, or iPod-connector-to-VGA cables). The case will get a lot easier if Apple-branded TV sets start to take off...

pprendeville said:
I'm in 1st year in college and am the only student using Pleco on an iPhone and the others don't realise what they're missing. Would like the chance to convert a few of them by showing them the full range of features available. It's so user friendly and the main tool I use to learn & I can't understand why students with iPhones don't purchase it.

Thanks! Really appreciate the word-ofmouth.

gato

状元
iPhone 4S and iPad 2 apparently support mirroring to external projectors or displays, whereas earlier models only support video outs.

Does that mean Pleco would be compatible with projectors on iPhone 4S and iPad 2?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4108
You can use the Apple Digital AV Adapter or VGA Adapter to display the contents of your iPad 2 or iPhone 4S screen to a compatible TV, projector, or other external display.

Some apps do not mirror, but instead are designed to display video out on an external display. Use the Apple Digital AV Adapter or VGA Adapter to connect your iPhone 4, iPad, or iPod touch (4th generation) to an external TV, projector, or display to enjoy the video-out feature of these apps: