Problem with importing flashcards to new phone

Hi everyone,

I have been using Pleco forever and absolutely love it. Unfortunately I have come across a problem I can't solve.

I got a new phone and so I exported my flashcards and imported them into my new phone, but unfortunately when I imported them they all were considered custom cards. Going to each card individually gives me the option to convert the text to the dictionary text, but I can't do that to all 8000 of them.

Is there anyway to do this wholesale? Am I importing my cards in the wrong way?

Many thanks everyone

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks!

It sounds like you exported the flashcards as text cards that included definitions; when you import a file like that into Pleco the default behavior is to assume that you want to use those exact definitions instead of linking to dictionaries.

To fix this, you can either:

a) import the cards on your new phone with "definition source" set to "prefer dicts";
b) export your cards from the old phone without definitions;
c) export them from your old phone via Import/Export / Backup Database and restore them via Import/Export / Restore Database, which should move everything over with perfect fidelity.

Thanks!

It sounds like you exported the flashcards as text cards that included definitions; when you import a file like that into Pleco the default behavior is to assume that you want to use those exact definitions instead of linking to dictionaries.

To fix this, you can either:

a) import the cards on your new phone with "definition source" set to "prefer dicts";
b) export your cards from the old phone without definitions;
c) export them from your old phone via Import/Export / Backup Database and restore them via Import/Export / Restore Database, which should move everything over with perfect fidelity.

Ah thank you so much that's sorted it.