printer can do Chinese, but not seal script [problem solved, to the extent it could be]

feng

榜眼
Windows 8.1, Word 2013/365, printer is HP Photosmart 5514. The printer simply doesn't print the document.

I can print documents in 楷書、行書、and 隸書. I can not print 小篆 documents. I searched around the net for this, but all I could find (and all of it was from years and years ago) was unanswered questions or answers like "... the next thing I would check is CHRID parameter on your OVRPRTF command to make sure that you are generating your spool file in the proper character set."

I understand that apparently a machine that can print all manner of pictures still requires fonts to print text, but I have the font in Word. The attached image has the beginning of the document if that clarifies anything.

Thanks for reading :)

Attachments

• 1000syaujwan.PNG
    1000syaujwan.PNG
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,158
Last edited:

alex_hk90

状元
Windows 8.1, Word 2013/365, printer is HP Photosmart 5514. The printer simply doesn't print the document.

I can print documents in 楷書、行書、and 隸書. I can not print 小篆 documents. I searched around the net for this, but all I could find (and all of it was from years and years ago) was unanswered questions or answers like "... the next thing I would check is CHRID parameter on your OVRPRTF command to make sure that you are generating your spool file in the proper character set."

I understand that apparently a machine that can print all manner of pictures still requires fonts to print text, but I have the font in Word. The attached image has the beginning of the document if that clarifies anything.

Thanks for reading :)

Have you tried exporting/printing to PDF first and then printing that PDF instead?

If you want you can send me the file and I'll have a look at it?

feng

榜眼
Have you tried exporting/printing to PDF first and then printing that PDF instead?

If you want you can send me the file and I'll have a look at it?
Thanks as always! It will not export to PDF. I tried a few times. Please see attached image.

I can successfully export it to OpenDocument Text (looks the same) and Rich Text Format (changed the spacing) -- both still as seal script (with one kaishu exception as no font will render that character in seal). Which of those formats would be OK to send you? I assume you don't want it in Word.

I neglected to give the error message for printing in Word (can't seem to get it in a screen shot): "The printer couldn't print Microsoft Word ____" (document name is where ___ is).

Attachments

• failure.PNG
    failure.PNG
    42 KB · Views: 792

alex_hk90

状元
Thanks as always! It will not export to PDF. I tried a few times. Please see attached image.

I can successfully export it to OpenDocument Text (looks the same) and Rich Text Format (changed the spacing) -- both still as seal script (with one kaishu exception as no font will render that character in seal). Which of those formats would be OK to send you? I assume you don't want it in Word.

I neglected to give the error message for printing in Word (can't seem to get it in a screen shot): "The printer couldn't print Microsoft Word ____" (document name is where ___ is).

Have you tried with a PDF printer such as CutePDF (not sure if this is still the best free one but I used to use it a while back)? I'm happy to look at the original Word file and/or the OpenDocument Text - I've still got a version of Windows on a partition of my old laptop which I think should have Word.

feng

榜眼
Have you tried with a PDF printer such as CutePDF (not sure if this is still the best free one but I used to use it a while back)? I'm happy to look at the original Word file and/or the OpenDocument Text - I've still got a version of Windows on a partition of my old laptop which I think should have Word.
Would a PDF printer work for something that is not a PDF file? I just PMed you about the Word file.

alex_hk90

状元
Would a PDF printer work for something that is not a PDF file? I just PMed you about the Word file.

Yes, the name is probably a bit unclear but a PDF printer is used to print files to PDF, not to print PDF files. It installs on your computer like a normal printer and then you choose the PDF printer when you print a document and the PDF printer then lets you 'print' the document to a PDF file. Then you can try printing that PDF file instead of the original Word file. Might not make a difference but easy to try.

feng

榜眼
Yes, the name is probably a bit unclear but a PDF printer is used to print files to PDF, not to print PDF files. It installs on your computer like a normal printer and then you choose the PDF printer when you print a document and the PDF printer then lets you 'print' the document to a PDF file. Then you can try printing that PDF file instead of the original Word file. Might not make a difference but easy to try.
Thank you! That worked.

feng

榜眼
For future readers of this thread I should mention that I recently learned that, contrary to what I thought, printers (at least of the sort I have) don't care about fonts and just print it the same as they would for a picture. [I keep reading different things, so don't believe a word I say!]

Last edited: