Preliminary Pleco 2.0 Upgrade Policy Posted

gato said:
It's not a matter of giving beef. A higher price will generally keep some customers away. ... Users of this forum, probably some of the most dedicated users of PlecoDict, is not the best sample group to gauge what the optimal price to charge would be.

That was a comment about the upgrade policy, not the dictionary:
The new Pleco 2.0 software engine will be a free upgrade for anyone with a (legal) copy of any other version of PlecoDict. However, customers who received PlecoDict as a free upgrade from our older Oxford Dict software and have not purchased any other upgrades / add-on dictionaries for it will need to purchase our new Hanwang handwriting recognizer in order to use Pleco 2.0 (if they haven't already done so); the older recognizer will no longer be supported in 2.0.

There will also be fees associated with the new stroke order diagram and audio pronunciation features (see below for details). These fees will be waived for anyone who purchased / purchases the Professional or Complete version of PlecoDict after July 1st of 2006. The free upgrade to 2.0 does not include a platform switch; you'll only get a free 2.0 upgrade for the same platform (Palm or Pocket PC) for which you currently own a copy of PlecoDict.

I was just noting that they've always been generous with upgrades, and there's no reason to complain. That first post sounded like they might be worried about it, I'm glad those worries weren't confirmed. It's hard to find a company that tries as hard and stays as in touch with its customers as Pleco does.

Like you, I find the dictionary cost reasonable considering the benefits. But I can imagine poor students giving them beef about that cost, nothing wrong with that. Not much you can do about that, it is a premium kind of product.