Popup Reader delay

Shun

状元
Hi,

when I tap on a Chinese character in a dictionary entry, it always takes a quarter second or so to display its definition. Whether I use an iPhone 4 or an iPad 3, the delay remains about the same, so I'm guessing it isn't performance-related but an artificial delay. I also noticed it comes up faster on a Galaxy S II (Android). If the delay is indeed artificial, perhaps you could add an option under Settings to change it?

Thanks a lot!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
afritzse said:
when I tap on a Chinese character in a dictionary entry, it always takes a quarter second or so to display its definition. Whether I use an iPhone 4 or an iPad 3, the delay remains about the same, so I'm guessing it isn't performance-related but an artificial delay. I also noticed it comes up faster on a Galaxy S II (Android). If the delay is indeed artificial, perhaps you could add an option under Settings to change it?

It's artificial but it's actually coming from Apple's end - has to do with the way iOS handles the "finger lifted from the screen" message. We experimented with having it trigger as soon as the finger hit the screen, but that got annoying (accidental taps) and felt extremely un-iOS-like, so we're pretty set on having it only trigger when the finger is lifted.

But we haven't looked at this problem in a year or two so we can certainly examine it again and see if any of the changes in iOS 5/6 have made it possible to get it to respond more quickly.