Pleco takes one minute to load

alfredm

On my Samsung Mega 6.3. It was running fine until I ran out of space for apps (the Mega 6.3 has only 8GB) and I started deleting some apps and moving others to the SD card. I believe I didn't touch Pleco (version 3.2.12).

Then I tried uninstalling Pleco completely and reinstalling it, but it didn't help. When I start Pleco there is first a grey screen which after about 10-15 seconds turns black, then after one minute Pleco is finally available. How to solve the problem?

alfredm

I tried version 3.2.13 and it doesn't solve the problem. Is there anything else I can do?

I'm wondering what is causing the issue, because until I performed the memory saving steps Pleco was working nicely. Now it looks as if Pleco was trying to connect to the Internet, for some reason fails and only starts after a timeout.

By the way I'm in China right now. In China when you try to access a web page which uses Google APIs you have to wait a long time because the Google APIs (for instance Google Maps) are blocked. Such webpages only load after a while (I guess after the timeout). Pleco is now behaving the same way.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Another thought, then - are you using a version downloaded from Google Play? If so, back up all of your data, delete that version and download one from our website instead - the problem might relate to our app trying to connect to Google Play's in-app purchase server. You could also try downloading a version from Amazon AppStore.

alfredm

Well, I uninstalled completely (at least I think so) Pleco and then reinstalled it from your website because here in China I have no access to Google Play. But now it indeed looks as if Pleco was trying to connect to the Google Play store at every start.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Got it, thanks - have to see if we can keep the Play version from misbehaving, then, must be doing something in a foreground thread that it should only be doing in a background one.

alfredm

I might add that I'm using the paid for version of Pleco. Perhaps Pleco is trying to access Google Play to see which features are activated?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@alfredm - possibly, yes. The connection to Google's servers is all handled by their library - for our purposes it's kind of a 'black box' - so we need to find a way to get that to behave better, or perhaps disable it entirely if you're on a Chinese IP address.