Pleco Reader fast battery drain

cy

Using Pleco Reader on iOS 7 on an iPhone 5s. I find when using the reader that my battery drains very quickly and the device gets very warm, even when I am not doing a lot of lookups but just reading text. It drains such that my battery goes from 90% to 10% within a couple of hours (give or take a half hour). This was not the case when I was using the reader on iOS 6 on an iPhone 4.

I tried searching through the forums to see if there was a similar post but I could not find anything related. I assume this may be due to high cpu usage and that's why the device gets so warm.

Any one else notice this issue?

Thanks,
cy

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Just did a run with Apple's energy usage monitor on a 5S here and I'm not seeing any problems - only way I could get the power usage to spike was by running text-to-speech, otherwise when just flipping through pages it was 0/20 with minimal CPU usage.

Is this with a TXT file or an EPUB or a Word document or a PDF file? Have you spent lots of time in any other reader apps on your 5S? Had you done anything else very processor-intensive in Pleco during the same session, such as running live OCR?

pravit

秀才
I've noticed this issue too. I used iOS 6 Pleco on an iPad 3 with Night Mode on. Today I updated to iOS 7, I'll see if it runs out any faster than before...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Update to the new 3.1 release, also - 3.0 had some battery drain issues if you switch out of OCR.