pleco-only non-phone palm hardware..T5 ok?

hi everyone,

does anyone know what speed processor and how much ram pleco 2.0 needs to run with good performance? i realize the web site lists minimum system requirements, but then says that pleco 2.0 will run slowly on most of the older devices.

since the TX has (128MB, 312mhz) i'm guessing that's the recommended minimum for good performance?

anyone know about
palm zire 72 (32mb, 312mhz ) - fast enough? (the E2 is slow (32 or 64 MB) but is only 200 mhz). so is the zire 72 ok?

tungsten T5 (256MB, 412mhz)?

any others?

thanks!!
david

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The E2's problem actually isn't that it's too slow, it's that it has too little *cache* memory to run Pleco 2.0 well - crashes a lot as a consequence of that. It's a fine choice for 1.0 though. Cache memory is different from the memory listed on the device specifications, it's a portion of the non-storage RAM that's set aside for database caching, and the E2 for some reason has less of it than any other Palm OS model shipped before or since.

The T5 is all right, but it's one of Palm's buggier models in general, so while it's not unusually bad with Pleco it's not a model we particularly recommend.

The Zire 72 is pretty solid, actually - it's not a great choice if you're going to be using flashcards a lot (doesn't support a type of file storage system that we use to improve flashcard reliability / performance) but for basic dictionary searches it should be fine - those are actually a lot more dependent on the speed of the I/O system than of the processor, so the Zire 72 isn't at much of a disadvantage there.

If you're trying to save money, though, 1.0 is a good bit cheaper than 2.0 and still has a lot of features, and it would run well on almost any used Palm you can find.