Pleco on new M1 Macbook

Pleko

I just bought the new MacBook which allows the downloading and use of iOS apps on the computer. However it seems to me that Pleco must have asked not to allow downloads onto laptops. Anyone else have any luck downloading Pleco on an M1 chip MacBook?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It doesn’t work, no - we didn’t list it in the App Store and even if you managed to hack it into working anyway your purchases wouldn’t activate on it.

We are working on a well optimized Mac version, likely as a paid upgrade, but both for licensing reasons and because the experience with our non-optimized app is pretty awful we’re not supporting Mac in the meantime.

Pleko

Always fast with the reply mikelove! I figured it was because of licensing and you working on a Mac version. Oh well, patience is a required characteristic for a Pleco user. Can’t complain knowing that the likes of Matteo Ricci and generations of learners never had a good dictionary let alone an iPad Pleco app.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I'd rather not be obligated to support it, honestly, which we would be if we were charging for it - better to wait until we have something we're confident in. (also, it's not at all certain that it'll continue working)

It crashes for me when pasting into the clipboard reader, which is the main reason I wanted it on the Mac. That, and the Outlier dictionary, which obviously cant be activated.