Staff member
Peter Fu said:
Dear All, sorry to ask this again. I see the question has been posed
sometime ago. I'm currently considering switching from Blackberry
to Android/iphone for my business cell - yet I'd love to stay with
Blackberry if there'd be any chance that your excellent software
would be available on it in the future. Would you kindly let me
know what you know/think about this?

Almost no chance, I'd say - in theory if BlackBerry makes a massive comeback and Apple/Google falter we might consider it, but that seems unlikely at this point.

adamlau

探花
Hopefully OS 10 will prove to be the beginning of a comeback for Research in Motion...
It has been over six years since I first asked about Pleco for BB: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=637 :wink:
FYI, I have both an iPhone 4S and a BlackBerry 9900 of which the 9900 remains my primary...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
adamlau said:
Hopefully OS 10 will prove to be the beginning of a comeback for Research in Motion...
It has been over six years since I first asked about Pleco for BB: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=637 :wink:
FYI, I have both an iPhone 4S and a BlackBerry 9900 of which the 9900 remains my primary...

I'm afraid it's probably too late for them now, in part because of developers like Pleco who already have too many platforms to juggle - if there's room at all for a third platform after iOS and Android, it'll probably be Windows 8.

jose120

I successfully converted the apk to a bar file to work with my Blackberry 10... works extremely well with no bugs.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
jose120 said:
I successfully converted the apk to a bar file to work with my Blackberry 10... works extremely well with no bugs.

Really? Did it actually proceed past the startup downloading files screen? It's normal that that part would work, but BlackBerry's own developer website states that apps that use the NDK (as Pleco does) are not compatible.

andria

秀才
I just want to mention that the handwritten Chinese input on the Z10 is awesome! ) It works perfectly without any add-on, just enable the language input, that's it. Couldn't be easier. For native speakers (writers) this is perfect. Now for those of us who need dictionaries there are a couple, but I am still holding off on them, hoping to hear how this alleged port worked.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
andria said:
If you want to see how nice the native handwriting input is on the Z10 compare these videos.

To be honest, there are several free third-party Chinese handwriting keyboards on Android that duplicate this transparent overlay functionality, and a number of other Android phones include better built-in Chinese handwriting input than the one in this demo, so I don't think one could grant BlackBerry a clear advantage here - does BB10 support third-party input methods at all?