pleco for pc?

naminori

举人
Thanks a lot. - Installed BlueStacks and can access it now on the notie. - But why do you not put it directly - or natively as you call it - into the Microsoft or Google Play Stores. Using it on a normal computer with the mouse <or touchpad> is so much more comfortable.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We do offer it in the Google Play store now, if you have a Chromebook - is it not coming up there?

Our app isn't a native Windows app, there's no way we could offer it in the Microsoft store.

naminori

举人
Thanks. -

I have installed - rather for the fun of it - three Android emulators by now, i.e. BlueStacks, Nox and MEmu. - On all three I get Pleco nicely. I actually like the idea to have the possibility to open three search screens in overlap.

But. Here is the hitch. - I bought the Professional Bundle in the last of the three emulators, i.e. MEmu and paid via Google Pay. And in that emulator I get the information about the purchase as being done - for ABC Chinese-English Dictionary down to Stroke Order Diagrams. But when I click on any of the dictionaries I get some infor about the mega bites and the option to delete. No more. No access to any of the dictionaries anywhere. - And, in Pleco opened on the other two emulators - there is not any purchase recorded at all. - Could you tip me off on this a little?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Just copy down the "Registration ID" from the Pleco "Registration" screen on one of them and enter it in the same screen on the others.

naminori

举人
Thank you, Mike. - This worked like a charm. - But you had only answered the seond question. The three devices now tell me that I have purchased more functionality - and also several dictionaries. But I do not get access to any dictionary on any of the emulators. - Where could they be found?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry I missed that.

Check the "Add-ons" screen under "Purchased but not downloaded" - are the dictionaries listed to download in there?

naminori

举人
I have dowloaded them all - but there is absolutely no way for me to find them anywhere. When I click on one of the purchased dictionarie a ridiculous screen opens. With the name of the dictionary on top, the number of MBs, a gray line with the word DELETE in it and another short paragraph of three lines describing content and origin of the dictionary. But no dictionary to be opened anywhere. Or, as they might say - "Where is the beef?"

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That means it already is downloaded. Just go into the search screen and search for a word and the results from these downloaded dictionaries should be included along with the ones that were already installed.

naminori

举人
Oops. Now I get it. - The dictionaries are saved in the backspace. But cannot be accessed independently.

I see that I will have to study the Instruction Manual that I have printed out already. And I may also have some looks into the Pleco videos on Youtube,

- Thank for your valuable assistance so far.

naminori

举人
Hello Mike! - Happy as I am with my triple access to Pleco over three Android Emulators - though the parallel opening of which on my notebook stresses the Ram capacity a bit hard -, I thought it could be useful to see the App on a smartphone too for which it seems you have conceived it originally.

I purchased a Huawei P40 Lite . But I had not been aware that HUAWEI P40 lite 5G is based on Android 10 operating system, with EMUI 10.1. Google Mobile Services isn't available on this device.

Am I right to assume that the absence of Google Play Store would also make it impossible to install Pleco on that device?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No, you can certainly install it - can download the APK from our website and install it just as you would on an emulator, and buy add-ons from store.pleco.com.

naminori

举人
Thank you for this valuable update again. - Though I think I will nonetheless send that device back and find one with full Google access.

naminori

举人
I have another question about downloads. - I think I got it right that the dictionaries are not accessible individually but are only integrated into the research operation for given characters and terms.

But today my attention was drawn to the New Manual of Chinese History. - I got the options to Buy Now and to Download Demo. - I started with the Demo and found it quite interesting - though it was not quite clear what the Demo comprised and I found no way to browse through. I could only move the slieder below in order to hop almost randomly forward. But I could click on characters and got them in the Pleco Dictionary.

SoI decided to buy it. - But now it seems to have vanished tooin the backdrop. But this is meant to be an ebook and it can not linger in the Bermuda Triangle! Could you please tell me, where the ebook, that I bought for 28,99 EUR actually resides?

naminori

举人
Thanks. I found it now. - But I am still at a loss how to read in it with normally going from page to page. There is only the slider on the bottom. But I cannot find the arrows on the side for browsing forward and backword.
Could there be somewhere a tutorial about reading in that rather voluminous book?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You can swipe left and right, just as on mobile. But it's not a great interface on desktops at the moment, so if it doesn't work well for you let me know and we can cancel / refund that purchase.

naminori

举人
Thank you for your fast answer again. - I was just pointer hovering at the sides and waiting for those arrows - which appear in Kindle books. I did not think of just swiping. - Which works absolutely easy.

I do have btw a Google compatible Smartphone - realme 7 5G - and start to use it for Pleco. But reading a work on History on a Smartphone is not exactly my cup of tea.

I was stunned to find almost by chance the Camera / OCR function. - And for that the Smartphone is of course the right tool.

I am making small progress with the manuals - having printed out so far Dictionary, Reader and Flashcards. - I am good at printing these out as booklets.

All in all I am baffled by this extraordinary sinological compound - that Pleco is and I would never ever have believed that it would exist. -

Another small question that I have not yet understood. What does PLC as written on the right side of each character in the search results of the dicitionary actually stand for? - Is there in the Dictionary Manual an explanation for this and also for UNI?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
All in all I am baffled by this extraordinary sinological compound - that Pleco is and I would never ever have believed that it would exist. -

Thanks!

Another small question that I have not yet understood. What does PLC as written on the right side of each character in the search results of the dicitionary actually stand for?

Just which dictionary it comes from; PLC is the built-in Pleco-supplied one (actually licensed from a Chinese publisher but modified enough that we can no longer call it by its own name), versus CC = CC-CEDICT and UNI = Unihan.