Pleco for Android 3.2.22

Peter

榜眼
Pleco crashes when I go to add a flash card words from within the screen reader. This didnt occur with 3.2.20. Coredumps reported via Google (Android 5.1, Motorola).

Google translate. I think the line-button that appears in the search results list is too big, on my small phone. Its a pity the translate button can't be included on the same line that says "add to user dictionary."

ckatt

状元
So I've had this issue for a few versions now so I though i should mention it. When using the ocr some times the image is greatly underexposed and almost black. Seems to be caused when i pause the ocr and go to another part of Pleco, when I return to the reader the image is ok but the ocr is still paused. when i hit resume the image goes very dark. text is still visible if I am outside or in bright light, but usually its all black if I am indoors.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Should be fixed in the 3.2.22 update we just released (bug was in Android Support Library, actually - it was holding onto a copy of something it wasn't supposed to).

HW60

状元
In flashxards, fill-in-the-blanke, 4 character words, when I enter the fourth character, Pleco does not draw the first stroke of that character (but all other strokes), and still recognizes the correct character.

When I reported the same feature more than a year ago, you said it was due to Samsung's graphics driver. Now I use Samsung's SM-T815. If it is not Pleco's fault, what should I tell Samsung?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Honestly it's tough to know without more reports of the problem - we've never managed to reproduce it here, but if some other users speak up and mention the same thing we can triangulate from that. This is how we finally managed to fix the OCR-turns-characters-into-boxes issue - enough users wrote in that we were able to isolate a common element (the driver for a specific graphics chip used in some carrier versions of the Galaxy S5 and not others) and reproduce / fix the bug - and hopefully if a few more people write in about this we'll likewise be able to isolate why it's happening.

giokve

进士
Parts of some entries are interpreted as dictionary meta-words. Like "old" in the screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-11-03-12-04-14.png
    Screenshot_2015-11-03-12-04-14.png
    285.5 KB · Views: 422

ckatt

状元
When hitting the megaphone icon to read out the whole passage in the reader it always stops before the last line of text.
Both in the file reader and the clipboard reader.

ckatt

状元
Should be fixed in the 3.2.22 update we just released (bug was in Android Support Library, actually - it was holding onto a copy of something it wasn't supposed to).
OK so now its fixed. Thats good... But it actually was a bit of a help when OCRing characters on the TV. Normally they are too bright and it won't work, but the dimming effect actually made them readable. Any way to get such a feature on the ocr mordual?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@ckatt - Pleco or Google TTS?

With the bright characters, try pointing at something very bright and hitting the manual focus button - that should get it to recalibrate its exposure level.

ckatt

状元
@mikelove that works in some circumstances but not in others. Like if the screen is mostly bright its OK but if its dark it doesn't always work. also if I'm farther away, like on the couch, then other lights in the room seem to interfere.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Understood, but I'm afraid the fix for that would have to come from your device's OEM - about all we can do is say "try to make the thing in the middle of the screen exposed correctly" and leave it to the device's camera drivers to figure out how to do that.

I don't believe there's any way for an app to manually adjust exposure with the old (pre-Android-5) camera API - even on devices with very advanced cameras - so there's not much we can do about this ourselves until we drop support for Android 4, which is a ways away; right now only a bit under a third of our users are on Android 5 or later.

(FWIW, Apple only added manual camera controls at about the same time - with iOS 8 - so we don't yet support them in our iOS app either)