Pleco for Android 3.1 Beta 8

NomekSan

举人
Hi,

I just installed the beta version today and it's really great so far but I have a few questions:

1. I have often seen the "audio" button in screenshots from other users next to each sentence in the Sents tab. I don't see that feature on my screen. Do I need the OX Dictionary for this or is it related to the Text-to-speech feature? or do I just miss an option there?
  2. Is there or will there be an option to add those example sentences directly to a flashcard? I like to learn whole sentences and this would be really helpful. At the moment, the only way to do so is to copy paste the sentence, pinyin and definition individually.
  3. When I import entrys in my flashcard database and also set the option to put them in my user dict, it is fine at first but when I modify my file and add a few entrys then it works fine with my flashcard database but in my user dict, every entry gets duplicated.
  4. The right vertical slider behaves odd sometimes. In the sentences tab sometimes appears a movable blue slider, sometimes just the grey one to show where you are. If the movable slider appears, it is only possible to move to the bottom or the top, if I move it a little down, it jups dir3ectly to the bottom of the page.
Apart from those issues, this is a really great app to learn chinese. Haven't found anything remotely comparable. The off side is that there are so many options that sometimes, I work harder on understanding the app as on actually learning with it :D

buzz

Hi on the nexus 5 the text size of the headings wraps android 4.2.2 and 4.3.3) in the history section

I also have some questions
Is it possible to add a delay between each word on the file reader (not reading speed just a gap between word)?

In the reader can a button be added to allow the auto reading of the popup bubble to be toggled?

Can the volume buttons act as a volume control on the reader?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-09-23-16-16.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-09-23-16-16.png
    236.4 KB · Views: 434

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@Taichi - is this on a tablet?

@NomekSan - Thanks!

1) It's related to text-to-speech, yes.
2) There will probably be one in a future update when we overhaul the flashcard database system, yes.
3) We don't support duplicate checking in user dictionaries yet, so that's the expected behavior for the moment.
4) Android issue, sadly - it's tough to make a scrollbar intelligent without pre-calculating all of the heights of the things it's going to scroll through, which is a performance / battery drain. We think we may be able to trick it into being a little more intelligent in a future update but we're also hoping Google helps us out with some new API support in this area in the next version of Android.

@buzz - yikes, that shouldn't be - not seeing it on a Nexus 5 here, though, oddly enough. Probably best if we force those to use our font file / size since that'll ensure it's small enough to fit.

Delay between words we're investigating but it'll be a little dicey (doesn't seem to be something the system officially supports) so not quite there yet. We haven't had a lot of other requests for a button to toggle that feature on/off but we can certainly consider it if we do (seems reasonable enough, we just don't like to add UI clutter unless we have to). Volume buttons can indeed act as a reader volume control - just turn off "volume buttons scroll" in Settings / Reader.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@Taichi - when you open Pleco for the first time, in portrait orientation does it default to a tablet interface (two panels - list + definition on the same screen) or one (just the list)?

NomekSan

举人
@mikelove
Thanks for the quick response. I got 2 more things though :)
These 2 are happening accasionaly.

First is related to the recorded audio funktion. Sometimes it doesn't work for single syllables. I can hear that there is something that is played (like a little crackle and very quiet static) but no audio appears. in some cases it works when I push the audio button over and over again and sometimes there is nothing. Today morning, I startet Pleco and everything is fine now out of the sudden. I wrote a Mail about this, it's now happening again and disappearing again. Yesterday I had it the whole time and i already tried to reinstall the audio files. I reinstalled Pleco also. This happened to me in the actual relase too, now still in this beta.

The other thing is an occasional appearance of the behavior shwon in the screenshot below. This is usually fixed with a simple restart of the app for me.

Edit: My device is Sony Xperia Z

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-10-07-35-48.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-10-07-35-48.png
    342.7 KB · Views: 430

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@NomekSan - are you using wireless Bluetooth headphones by any chance?

Layering issue we're aware of but we're having a hard time completely fixing it - the handoffs between flashcard test and flashcard test setup screens are an unholy nightmare thanks to the peculiarities of the Android UI fragment system.

NomekSan

举人
@NomekSan - are you using wireless Bluetooth headphones by any chance?

Layering issue we're aware of but we're having a hard time completely fixing it - the handoffs between flashcard test and flashcard test setup screens are an unholy nightmare thanks to the peculiarities of the Android UI fragment system.

Indeed I do and I checked it: without BT it seems to work absolutely fine but with BT connected it swollows some syllables whereby some of the words are not played at all.
I make an educated guess and say that a lot of syllable recordings are too short for the BT connection to realize there is sth. to send? As I said: I get some kind of light static everytime.
Is this fixable? I have no problems with anything else via BT connection but thats all much longer than 1-2 seconds of course.
Normal headphone connection is also working fine.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's exactly it, too short for BT to use it. I believe we had a fix for that a few releases ago, but it stopped working and we haven't managed to rig up another one yet.

NomekSan

举人
That's exactly it, too short for BT to use it. I believe we had a fix for that a few releases ago, but it stopped working and we haven't managed to rig up another one yet.
Well, I believe in you ;)
Until then I think I can manage to use wired headphones.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@NomekSan - sorry, if you don't mind a few follow-up questions: do you remember what pattern of tab switches you used before that weird double transparent New Test screen came up? Did you exit a flashcard test or did it reach its end naturally or did you switch to New Test from another section (and if so, were you exiting a previous test when you did?) Did you use the Flashcard Launcher icon to get into flashcards? Have you picked one of the optional back button behavior options in Settings / Miscellaneous?

(trying to nail down the last few instances of this bug and we're not sure what's causing it in your case)

NomekSan

举人
I don't mind. That's what beta tests are for.
Unfortunately, I don't recall the actions I did before. I will keep my mind on this and post the pattern if it happens again.

Taichi

榜眼
1. Prioritize flash in words containing sometimes doesnt work (锋芒毕露 in attachment 1).

2. I remember someone already reported in previous thread, but GF still has | problem.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-12-00-40-53.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-12-00-40-53.png
    583 KB · Views: 416
  • Screenshot_2014-06-12-00-43-24.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-12-00-43-24.png
    367.9 KB · Views: 422

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@Taichi - 1) We only support that for single characters, though on reflection I'm not sure why that's the case - thanks.

2) Yes, that was newly reported in Beta 8 and should be fixed in GM.

HW60

状元
I want to export some of my flashcards to a .txt file including categories. After I tried Search Cards without success, I tried it with Organize Cards and was successful once. Now I want to export another top category of cards, but with Organize Cards, Edit, Batch, Export Cards, Cards in Categories, Selection of top category I am missing the "Export Now". Tapping on Export Cards again terminates Pleco.