Pleco for Android 3.1 Beta 5

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Just swipe to the left in the STROKE tab and you'll see the stroke order for those characters.

HW60

状元
I do not understand - when I swipe from right to left, I can start Multi Window on my tablet or I can make a screenshot or both, but how do I get the stroke order for other than the already displayed characters?

Attachments

• 2014-05-21 05.37.41.png
    2014-05-21 05.37.41.png
    284.9 KB · Views: 497

HW60

状元
Pleco does not treat flashcards which are looked for in DICT ... WORDS as flashcards:
I added 肉羹 and 羹 to my flashcards. Now when I look for 羹 in the dictionary and switch to WORDS, I do not find these 2 new words. It seems, as if Pleco would not include the word which is looked for (羹 in this case) in the Words Containing. But Pleco shows the "+" to add a flashcard for this word, shows the categories to choose from after I hit the "+", and says Duplicate Card when I select a category. The "+" is displayed in the DICT tab ... too.
Looking for 肉羹, Pleco does not show 肉羹 in WORDS Containing, but displays the "+".

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Did you regenerate that WORDS list since you added that word to flashcards? (exited / reopened that definition screen) It won't reload if you simply switch tabs without moving to a new definition - in general we don't expect flashcards to change that much and we'd rather save time / battery life by not reloading that list more often than we need to.

HW60

状元
Did you regenerate that WORDS list since you added that word to flashcards? (exited / reopened that definition screen) It won't reload if you simply switch tabs without moving to a new definition - in general we don't expect flashcards to change that much and we'd rather save time / battery life by not reloading that list more often than we need to.
I do not know how to regenerate WORDS lists, but even today, two days after the creation of 肉 and 肉羹, I did not see either word in the WORDS list looking for 羹. It seems that the word in DICT is never shown in WORDS, so I do not immediately know from WORDS if I added the single characters of a word to my flashcards when I added a more syllable word. [It would be a good idea to be able to check if all characters used in flashcard words are also in flashcards, or even to create them automatically - I do that from time to time with Excel]

But the behaviour probably has to do with the user dictionary. I looked up several characters which I had added to my flashcards very recently and which were already in my user dictionary consisting of flashcards only. The "+" sign in the top left changes, when I change the dictionary: with GF it is "+", with my user dictionary it is "+" in a dotted sqare (both in DICT and WORDS). These characters behave as expected in WORDS, I can see all my more syllable flashcards with that character, but not the characters alone.

I therefore just created a new flashcard user dictionary, and now 肉羹 is in the WORDS list as my flashcard!

santiago

举人
1) Reader "open a new file" browser does not remember the last used folder (maybe not a bug, but it'd be useful)
2) Cant make TTS lulu to work. No matter the configuration Huihui always comes out (they are both installed)

Coolpad 5890, Android 4.1.2, direct apk download.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@HW60 - we'll see if we can reproduce this with user dictionaries, thanks.

@santiago - 1) is indeed intentional, a reflection of the fact that we no longer have the ability to specify an initial folder in the Android 4.4 system file browser.

2) is actually also intentional - Lulu doesn't allow us to follow along as it speaks, so we've disabled it in the document reader and are planning to announce along with 3.1 that anybody bought Lulu is welcome to contact us for a refund. (we stopped selling Lulu a couple of months ago in anticipation of this, and thankfully we've never offered it in a bundle)

We don't plan to immediately stop supporting Lulu in example sentences or in regular non-follow-along reading, but we're not planning to support it anywhere new in the future and we may phase it out entirely at some point.

HW60

状元
For All Chinese Dicts C I marked Disabled and Skip with button, but with no input in Dictionary, I can circle through the dictionaries including C. Sometimes Pleco opens with C as default, and sometimes it crashes soon after without any input or when tapping on C.

HW60

状元
A very very old minor bug: In fill in the blanks, test reading and writing alternating, repeating wrong cards, when the first card of the repetition series is "show characters, ask for pinyin", the screen is ready for HWR input and the keyboard cannot be used. A tap on the brush and everything is OK.

Attachments

• 2014-05-25 06.36.20.png
    2014-05-25 06.36.20.png
    102.8 KB · Views: 470

alex_hk90

状元
Update: now it's Beta 5, fixing a newly introduced bug in our Storage Access Framework support (see below).

I've just clean-installed Beta 5 on an updated version of KitKat on my Sony Xperia Z1 Compact and there no longer seems to be the option of installing to the external SD card - it just gives the options of "Volume 1" (internal emulated SD card) or "Unknown Volume". I tried the latter but I think it just redirects to the former as it is downloading the files to "Volume 1". To be honest I don't think this is necessarily a Pleco bug but rather Google messing around with external SD card access in KitKat. I have applied the manual fixes to the "platform.xml" file to allow writing to external SD card but that may not be sufficient. Similarly, the new Storage Access Framework (I'm presuming that's what the "Load Existing" button now uses in the user dictionary section) does not allow access to the external SD card (I cannot see how to navigate there), only the internal emulated SD card.

Otherwise, Beta 5 is working for well for me - thank you! :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
"Unknown Volume" usually means that your SD card is inaccessible - this would also make it impossible to run Pleco from it if it were already installed on that. Any chance your SD card might have come loose, or been unmounted by some third party app (e.g. for file sharing)?

With SAF, if you tap on the options menu at the top right corner of the screen there's an option to show 'advanced devices' that should let you access everything on your system.

alex_hk90

状元
"Unknown Volume" usually means that your SD card is inaccessible - this would also make it impossible to run Pleco from it if it were already installed on that. Any chance your SD card might have come loose, or been unmounted by some third party app (e.g. for file sharing)?

With SAF, if you tap on the options menu at the top right corner of the screen there's an option to show 'advanced devices' that should let you access everything on your system.

The external SD is accessible using ES File Explorer. The "Display advanced devices" option is already checked in SAF but it doesn't show the external SD as an option in the sidebar.

HW60

状元
If you select a dictionary with tap and hold in reader to get information about the word highlighted and the word is not in the dictionary, Pleco says "Sorry, no definition was found for this character" and displays a "?" at the position of the dictionary abbreviation. Neither tapping on the "?" nor tap-holding lets you choose another dictionary then, you have to tap on the screen to remove the popup dictionary window and highlight the word again.

skripp

举人
Both night mode and regular mode.

Steps to reproduce bug:

Select a word/character from search.
Tap "stroke".
Tap on one of the characters.
Tap the strange icon in the top right.
Go back.
Now there is no character in the stroke tab anymore.

Can't we have character components under the chars tab even when you have a multi character word open? If it would be too confusing just have them "rolled up", or whatever the word for it is, by default.

Forgot to add: Samsung Galaxy Note 3, 4.4.2

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@alex_hk90 - that's odd, comes up just fine here on the Galaxy Note 2 we're using for 4.4 external-SD testing. Anyway we'll see if we can add additional SD cards ourselves through the same mechanism we use to add the 'home' option now.

@HW60 - hmm, yeah, definitely shouldn't be showing a ? there.

@skripp - thanks.

Child character components under "CHARS" feel like a lot of clutter - if we do anything on this I'd rather just add an option to have those jump directly to the CHARS tab instead of to DICT, that gets you there in the same number of taps but it's cleaner.