Pleco for Android 2.4.8 Bug Report Thread

Re: Pleco for Android 2.4.6 Bug Report Thread

This still hasn't shown up in PLAY store. I've been waiting two days for that.
Also, I didn't get an email notification, even though I'm subscribed to the announcement thread.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

stephanhodges said:
This still hasn't shown up in PLAY store. I've been waiting two days for that.
Also, I didn't get an email notification, even though I'm subscribed to the announcement thread.

Working out some kinks with the switch to the Google download system - should hopefully be out tomorrow though. Not sure why you didn't get an email notification - sorry about that, might have to do with our recent server migration.

Judging by the lack of comments, perhaps no one got the notification?

Also, I see a mention of a 2.4.8 in the user interface thread? (Your last post I believe). Was that a typo, or is there another quick update coming also?

I see the 2.4.8 announcement is avaliable. (Haven't seen an email on it yet). Perhaps just change the name of this thread to 2.4.8 instead of 2.4.6? haha

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

stephanhodges said:
I see the 2.4.8 announcement is avaliable. (Haven't seen an email on it yet). Perhaps just change the name of this thread to 2.4.8 instead of 2.4.6? haha

Yeah, I suspect even after all of this we'll have to hurry up with a 2.4.9 in a few days once we release this.

EDIT: and it turns out that the email server was in fact misconfigured, so thanks for that - should be fixed now.

Great!

Also (a bit of trivia), I managed to download 130213 MOMENTS before you updated the link to 130215! haha. I finished the download, went back the forum and saw the new announcement. Just downloaded 2.4.8. Will try it out, since there will be a 2.4.9, and I can get THAT one from PLAY store.

***EDIT ***

Got the announcement email. Should be lots more people downloading soon!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: Not in Play store still

LantauMan said:
Still not available as an update in the PLAY store for me. Any news on this front?

It'll be out tomorrow or Monday - delay because once we hit the weekend we needed somebody to be around monitoring things in case there's a showstopper bug and nobody was available today.

That being said, now that a) we have such a colossal number of Google Play users and b) our non-Google-Play app has built-in app update checking support, we've been toying with the idea of pushing updates to our non-Google-Play version more frequently, so in the future there may be other situations where we skip a couple of .x.x releases in the Google Play version. (with the new jailbreak of iOS 6.1 we may also consider doing the same thing on iOS, actually, though that would have to be through some sort of private beta test in order to avoid running afoul of Apple's rules) Honestly, while Android does have the advantage of much quicker update releases than iOS, that doesn't cancel out the larger problem that pushing out a buggy update even for just a few hours is still going to leave you with a lot of upset users.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
alex_hk90 said:
Me neither - is this a different mailing list to "pleco-announce.lists.pleco.com"?

No, this is subscribing to the New Release Announcement Thread, a much smaller thing; we don't send out mailing list announcements of every minor update because if we did we'd get unsubscribed and spam-reported like crazy, and we figure most customers will find out about those anyway when they show up in their respective app store's "Updates" tab.

Usteros

你們好! After updates my Pleco is not running now, only black screen :( Samsung Galaxy SII. What I have to do, please help! :(

daoist

When I first set the custom font for Chinese, the same font was set for both Chinese and Pinyin. In the options, I had to reset the Pinyin font to system settings (the button to change the Chinese font back was grayed out). Then I could redo changing the Chinese font without affecting the Pinyin font.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Usteros said:
你們好! After updates my Pleco is not running now, only black screen :( Samsung Galaxy SII. What I have to do, please help! :(

Is this the CN version or the non-CN one? Could you please download and install the free utility aLogcat, run Pleco to get the black screen, then run aLogcat and email us the log output?

Most of the time when this happens on a popular device it's because of file corruption, so in general my suggestion here would be that you delete and reinstall Pleco (you can back up your flashcard database from the /Android/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/files/databases folder on your SD card first), but if you'd rather not have to do that we can take a look at that log output and see if there's another cause.

daoist said:
When I first set the custom font for Chinese, the same font was set for both Chinese and Pinyin. In the options, I had to reset the Pinyin font to system settings (the button to change the Chinese font back was grayed out). Then I could redo changing the Chinese font without affecting the Pinyin font.

Hmm, that definitely shouldn't be, in fact in order to do that it would need to have made two copies of that font... we'll investigate, thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Usteros said:
Many thanks, I'll do that! Sorry, what are the CN and non CN versions?

The CN one says "CN Pleco Chinese Dictionary" in its name - it's a slightly modified version that we distribute in China in order to work around the fact that Google won't let you distribute free-with-in-app-purchase apps in China. So if you downloaded it from Google Play in China it's probably the CN version, otherwise it's probably not.

Usteros

Probably non-CN. Ok, I finished reinstall, it seems to me, all works fine. Mahy thanks Your advises, my Emperor. :)