Pleco for Android 2.4.1 Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
Maybe the problem can be reduced to the following problem: When I export flashcards with "all cards" selected, there are cards exported which have no category when I find them with Search Cards, but which are not exported when I try to export them with "Cards in categories" / "Uncategorized". 碍,败 and 棒 (and others) are examples of my flashcard.pqb (if you still have it). Maybe it is not too difficult to find out why these cards are not exported with "Cards in categories" selected.

Checking your database, it looks like you've actually got some "orphaned' cards assigned to categories that no longer exist (or rather, child categories of categories that no longer exist) - there were a couple of bugs in our old Palm/WM software that could cause that. If you send us your latest flashcard file we can clean those up for you, but since you'll then have to replace your flashcard file with our fixed version, you should probably do this right before a time when you plan to take a day or two off from flashcard reviews (so you don't lose any progress that you make while waiting for us to send back the file).

santiago

举人
mikelove said:
santiago said:
Pleco fails to recognice as a TTS sentence (a selected line to be read by lulu or hui) those that start with a character or word covered by the male-female audio recordings AND right after that there is a comma or point. Example: 我,爱这个软件 In this case the audio would simply use the audio recording for 我. I guess is not a big deal, but just thought I'd better report

mikelove said:
Hmm, not seeing that here... where exactly are you doing this? With an example sentence, with a custom dictionary entry, with a flashcard, or simply with a sentence that you selected in the document reader? If it's the document reader, did you select it by tap-holding on the |-> arrow or by just repeatedly tapping on it?

It happens in reader and dictionary (PLC for example). I select the part of the sentence by repeatedly tapping on the |-> arrow.

EXAMPLE: in the PLC dictionary the word 八方 has the following sentence 一方有难,八方支援,if I ONLY select the part 难,八方支援, the the audio will be just the audio recording for 难。
Phone: Huawei C8812
Android version: 4.0.3

santiago

举人
Using TTS in reader, sometimes pleco does not allow to select sentences having a latin word. A few things I tried:

1) Writing the following sentences in the dictionary and then copy paste to the reader:
看到那架F-39飞过来
快下载pleco程序
I have tried with and without spaces separating the latin words, in both cases pleco does not allow me to select the whole sentence so I can hear it with the TTS (neither repeatedly pressing the |-> botton nor holdinging it down ).

2) Seems that custom dictionaries DO NOT have this problem (maybe because the latin word is separated by a tap?)

3) if you start holding down the |-> botton in a paragraph different to the one containing the latin word, then eventually the sentence with the latin word will be selected. I have noticed however that sometimes you have to press-hold the |-> botton more times that it would be expected to select paragraphs (maybe because of an empty line between paragraphs).

Well, these are just a few hints if you wanna check it out. My english is not that great so its hard for me to explain it better :)

santiago said:
EXAMPLE: in the PLC dictionary the word 八方 has the following sentence 一方有难,八方支援,if I ONLY select the part 难,八方支援, the the audio will be just the audio recording for 难。

Happens for me also.

TF101 10.1" ASUS tablet

If I paste 一方有难,八方支援 in the dictionary lookup field, the comma is missing, and there is a black diamond with a '?' inside at the end of the phrase.

I did this by long tap to select the entire phrase, then pressed the lookup glass button from the same PLC entry as previous two comments.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
santiago said:
It happens in reader and dictionary (PLC for example). I select the part of the sentence by repeatedly tapping on the |-> arrow.

OK, reproduced (and fixed) now - thanks.

santiago said:
1) Writing the following sentences in the dictionary and then copy paste to the reader:
看到那架F-39飞过来
快下载pleco程序
I have tried with and without spaces separating the latin words, in both cases pleco does not allow me to select the whole sentence so I can hear it with the TTS (neither repeatedly pressing the |-> botton nor holdinging it down ).

Also reproduced, though we may not be able to fix this until a later release since we're running up against some deadlines here.

santiago said:
2) Seems that custom dictionaries DO NOT have this problem (maybe because the latin word is separated by a tap?)

Could also be that they're using wide (Chinese-charcter-width) English characters, which wouldn't trigger it.

santiago said:
3) if you start holding down the |-> botton in a paragraph different to the one containing the latin word, then eventually the sentence with the latin word will be selected. I have noticed however that sometimes you have to press-hold the |-> botton more times that it would be expected to select paragraphs (maybe because of an empty line between paragraphs).

Probably related - thanks for all of these.

stephanhodges said:
If I paste 一方有难,八方支援 in the dictionary lookup field, the comma is missing, and there is a black diamond with a '?' inside at the end of the phrase.

Reproduced and fixed, thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
mikelove said:
Also reproduced, though we may not be able to fix this until a later release since we're running up against some deadlines here.

Update: we've now managed to fix this, turned out to be related to a minor change in a totally unrelated part of Pleco which for various reasons ended up making it impossible to extend the selection to cover any alpha text. So if we can just get to the bottom of ckatt's crashing bug we'll have pretty much everything in this thread wrapped up.

HW60

状元
mikelove said:
If you send us your latest flashcard file we can clean those up for you, but since you'll then have to replace your flashcard file with our fixed version, you should probably do this right before a time when you plan to take a day or two off from flashcard reviews (so you don't lose any progress that you make while waiting for us to send back the file).
Thank you for this very individual support. You can almost never take a day off when you started spaced repetition flashcard reviews, so I will send the file not too early next month.

ckatt

状元
mikelove said:
So if we can just get to the bottom of ckatt's crashing bug we'll have pretty much everything in this thread wrapped up.

I just pm'ed you a new log file but here's a bit of extra information.

As time went by the crashing became more frequent and it looks like its not just related to the HW input, eventually it started crashing when ever i entered any text in the dictionary,though i could still use the flash cards or the OCR just fine. It got so bad that yesterday i reverted back to 2.4.0.
since getting your request for an unfiltered log i re-installed the 2.4.1 (i didn't have a saved unfiltered log) and attempted to reproduce the error. At first everything was fine, and i thought maybe be there had been an install error before. But after a few hours of use (i have the day off and have been studding all day), the bug crept up again and has this time gotten so bad that i cannot even fully launch the dictionary, the screen goes white and then back to the home screen. i can however still launch the OCR or flash cards from their short cut icons. so i have once again switched back to 2.4.0. i saved 4 or 5 logs after about 5 consecutive crashes, i don't know if they'd be ant more use than the the one i sent already, but let me know if you want them.

HW60

状元
HW60 said:
mikelove said:
If you send us your latest flashcard file we can clean those up for you,
Thank you for this very individual support. You can almost never take a day off when you started spaced repetition flashcard reviews, so I will send the file not too early next month.
In the meantime I looked with SQLite into my flashcard database and saw the orphan categories. I think it would be a good idea to add a repair function to Pleco, moving the cards with orphan categories to some other categories or to "really uncategorized" or to a category "orphan" from where the user can move the cards to wherever he likes.

As I can find the orphan cards now even more easily with SQLite, I will do the repair myself, searching for the cards and adding them to a new category. This is not urgent. Thanks for your help!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ckatt said:
I just pm'ed you a new log file but here's a bit of extra information.

As time went by the crashing became more frequent and it looks like its not just related to the HW input, eventually it started crashing when ever i entered any text in the dictionary,though i could still use the flash cards or the OCR just fine. It got so bad that yesterday i reverted back to 2.4.0.
since getting your request for an unfiltered log i re-installed the 2.4.1 (i didn't have a saved unfiltered log) and attempted to reproduce the error. At first everything was fine, and i thought maybe be there had been an install error before. But after a few hours of use (i have the day off and have been studding all day), the bug crept up again and has this time gotten so bad that i cannot even fully launch the dictionary, the screen goes white and then back to the home screen. i can however still launch the OCR or flash cards from their short cut icons. so i have once again switched back to 2.4.0. i saved 4 or 5 logs after about 5 consecutive crashes, i don't know if they'd be ant more use than the the one i sent already, but let me know if you want them.

Thanks - this is quite illuminating. If you could send those additional logs too that would be great, would help us confirm that the bug is confined to this one location (which does seem to match the one from the previous log) even when it's occurring on startup instead of after extended use.

radioman

状元
I am using Pleco on a Nexus 4. My issue has to do with importing.

I want to get a text file into Pleco. Often, I email myself the file. Then in the email, I select the file.

As my Nexus 4 is rather new, I only have 3 choices for reading the application. They are:

- QuickOffice
- HTMLViewer
- Pleco

When i choose either QuickOffice or HTMLViewer, the file reads in and is rendered with no problem. However, Pleco refuses to inport the file, instead showing a previous pasteboard clipping.

I am wondering if I am doing something wrong in this process. FYI that the text file is 200K or 300 Kbytes large.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
radioman said:
When i choose either QuickOffice or HTMLViewer, the file reads in and is rendered with no problem. However, Pleco refuses to inport the file, instead showing a previous pasteboard clipping.

Do you have the paid version of the reader active on your device?

radioman

状元
mikelove said:
Do you have the paid version of the reader active on your device?

Yes - Also, I can read the file if I use the Transfer Tool and dump the file into a directory on the device. But having the ability to use email is much more convenient.

Also, now that I'm in this,

1) Is there anyway to lock the bars in place on the reader so when I scroll that the bars don't disappear? I find that having things appear and disappear to be a bit annoying (i.e., going from a flat presentation of text to the definition popping up, as well as bars on the top and bottom of the page being enabled). I'm sure this is not the first time I have brought this up, and it exists as well on iOS.

2) The home buttons at the bottom stay bright when using the reader. I have seen some programs dim the buttons such that you only see the app renderings, and not the OS buttons (or at least have them dimmed). Just an idea in the spirit of minimizing distractions when reading.

3) I find that scrolling text when using the Nexus 4 is just a little bit jerky - not a huge issue, but other programs, like news readers, do not do this. (I figure Pleco has more to do than those more simple apps with regard to screen presentation and function, but thought I would mention it anyway).

As a side note, VERY GOOD to have separate springboard icons for the different Android Pleco functions (e.g., Reader, OCR, Dictionary). Sure wish that was the case with the iOS app.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
radioman said:
1) Is there anyway to lock the bars in place on the reader so when I scroll that the bars don't disappear? I find that having things appear and disappear to be a bit annoying (i.e., going from a flat presentation of text to the definition popping up, as well as bars on the top and bottom of the page being enabled). I'm sure this is not the first time I have brought this up, and it exists as well on iOS.

Not at the moment - we're going to experiment with this on iOS, though (which is going to have a truly spectacular document reader as of its next big update) and if it proves popular we'll bring it to Android too.

radioman said:
2) The home buttons at the bottom stay bright when using the reader. I have seen some programs dim the buttons such that you only see the app renderings, and not the OS buttons (or at least have them dimmed). Just an idea in the spirit of minimizing distractions when reading.

Doable, hadn't really had anyone mention this before.

radioman said:
3) I find that scrolling text when using the Nexus 4 is just a little bit jerky - not a huge issue, but other programs, like news readers, do not do this. (I figure Pleco has more to do than those more simple apps with regard to screen presentation and function, but thought I would mention it anyway).

Scrolling what sort of text? This is pretty much expected behavior in large text files, but if it's happening in dictionary entries too it's less clear - is your Nexus running 4.2?

radioman said:
As a side note, VERY GOOD to have separate springboard icons for the different Android Pleco functions (e.g., Reader, OCR, Dictionary). Sure wish that was the case with the iOS app.

And I wish Apple would allow it, but they currently don't, sadly.