Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 5 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

Re: Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 5 Bug Report / Feedback Thr

After installing and downloading things, I ran the reader, and tried the voices. There was no sound at all. I exited Pleco and tried other apps, but no sound from them either.

After reseting the tablet (TF101), sound is working.

I didn't test sound before running / updating Pleco, so not sure if it's as a result of upgrade.

At "90%", the newer Hui voice is still jumpy, as if it speeds up and slows down. It also sounds like it's overlapping syllables sometimes. I am trying to get a 4 segment audio cable to be able to record it. The Lulu voice is smoother and a little "slower", without changing any settings. It seems to have a little bit of a background "hum" to it, however. I don't recall hearing that before.

mfcb

状元

in reader, volume up/down not working anymore? thought previously could i turn volume up, maybe remember that wrong

Oriented

Go into PLECO\Settings\Reader and uncheck "volume buttons scroll". You will then be able to adjust the volume with the buttons.

wibr

进士

So far I am really happy with the update :)

In the first version Lulu was almost not usable on my GNex, however now I can't really decide which one is better...

Small bug: When I set the speed for TTS it shows %% after each item...

santiago

举人

Thanks for the TTS advances, alternating voices really helps to grasp the pronuntiation. (If ever the play-all-along option is implemented it will be amazing)

great job, amazing product that is worth every cent.

HW60

状元

If in fill-in-the-blanks the brush in the top right should not react on (the totally unnecessary) tapping, when pinyin have to be entered (test reading) - look at the resulting screen.

All known bugs seem to have disappeared, no more bugs detected for the time being. This is a great update!

wibr

进士

Another small one: While doing flashcards, with the "switch dictionary bar" at the right side activated the undo stroke arrow is almost invisible...

Wan

榜眼

Thanks for this update, no crashes so far. TTS works as well.
Lulu sounds a little more tinny, and the tones are a little more accurate with Hui, but that may be in my head

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

stephanhodges said:
After installing and downloading things, I ran the reader, and tried the voices. There was no sound at all. I exited Pleco and tried other apps, but no sound from them either.

Well that at least suggests it wasn't something specific to our TTS, though it is a bit worrying...

stephanhodges said:
At "90%", the newer Hui voice is still jumpy, as if it speeds up and slows down. It also sounds like it's overlapping syllables sometimes. I am trying to get a 4 segment audio cable to be able to record it. The Lulu voice is smoother and a little "slower", without changing any settings. It seems to have a little bit of a background "hum" to it, however. I don't recall hearing that before.

I actually finally heard a little bit of that when I tried using Hui over a BT headset, so I see how it could be something speaker- or audio-subsystem-related... but Lulu is playing through the exact same audio code now (just generating samples differently) so I'm not sure whether that's somehow causing less background work or whether it's simply operating at a frequency or pitch level that's more resilient to audio system problems.

wibr said:
Small bug: When I set the speed for TTS it shows %% after each item...

This is actually a workaround for an Android bug: basically, Google changed the preferences screen in Android (3.0?) so that you could use codes prefixed by % to insert certain special values (like "current value of this preference," which oddly enough had not been supported before then), but one consequence of this was that a standalone % in a preference would cause the app to crash. Two %%s, the designated "this is not a special value" escape sequence, seems to avoid the crash but doesn't display as one % like it's supposed to. We might be able to rig up a way to get a single % to display by hacking around with the preferences code but it didn't seem like a big enough deal to make it a priority.

santiago said:
Thanks for the TTS advances, alternating voices really helps to grasp the pronuntiation. (If ever the play-all-along option is implemented it will be amazing)

It will be, though Lulu doesn't seem to support following along word-by-word with the cursor at the moment unfortunately.

HW60 said:
If in fill-in-the-blanks the brush in the top right should not react on (the totally unnecessary) tapping, when pinyin have to be entered (test reading) - look at the resulting screen.

So you'd rather it didn't do anything at all when you tapped on it?

HW60 said:
All known bugs seem to have disappeared, no more bugs detected for the time being. This is a great update!

Great, thanks!

wibr said:
Another small one: While doing flashcards, with the "switch dictionary bar" at the right side activated the undo stroke arrow is almost invisible...

Yeah, that needs a higher-contrast background - thanks.

Wan said:
Thanks for this update, no crashes so far. TTS works as well.

Great! Has the search speed situation gotten any better? (we did quite a bit of optimization on that, turns out that SE phones exhibit some rather odd file caching behavior which had to be worked around - make sure to update all of your add-on databases in Updates though)

Wan said:
Lulu sounds a little more tinny, and the tones are a little more accurate with Hui, but that may be in my head

Seems to be a little different on every phone here, actually - the frequency responses differ in various subtle ways.

Amusing discovery today was having both voices read 《施氏食狮史》 - works, and seems pretty accurate, but it sounds (not unexpectedly) like 2 minutes of incomprehensible gibberish.

leynux

举人

leynux said:
In Reader, from landscape orientation, when i have few pages of text, scrolling to LAST page or nearly last, then auto rotate to portrait .. suddenly i have blank page, a few last text missing, need to switch back to landscpae to read last page

when i at early pages its normal.

Above happened on Galaxy note 10.1 , Galaxy Tab 8.9 but OK on Galaxy S2.
I'v just updated on Note 10.1 and still the same. I use readers a lot.

leynux

举人

Attached
Missing selection.
Now on Beta 5

Attachments

• capture_02.jpg
    capture_02.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 1,350

ckatt

状元

I don't know if this is related to pleco or android but when i tap the share icon in OCR my word processor, polaris office, is not on the list.
and on they same topic is there a way to move the position of pleco on the share list for other apps? i often have to translate a text message or email i get. it works fine but when i tap the share icon in the messaging app only some apps are shown and i must tap "more..." too see the bigger list. since pleco is the place i sent text most often is there a way to get it to show up in the sort list?
Oh and in the OCR there is no more... button at all, the only way i can get text to polaris is to send it to the reader then save and then open in reader.
personally i would like to see a basic edit ability in the reader, mainly because some times if i send a whole paragraph to the reader i later notice that one or two characters were recognized wrong and i then need to send it over to polairs to fix. If i could send straight there from the OCR it would help, but then i cant tap on characters to see there meaning ect. also Polaris and many other WP's i have tried don't allow saving a new file as a .txt. i can open them and edit and save, but if i start from a new file i can only save as .doc, so pleco reader would be unable to open it. is there any chance pleco will support .doc or maybe even .rtf in the future?

HW60

状元

mikelove said:
HW60 said:
So you'd rather it didn't do anything at all when you tapped on it?
Actually this is not a big problem, but ...
In fill-in-the-blanks, test writing and test reading, there are 4 different situations:
1. test writing (show pinyin) during input: tapping on brush has no effect (OK); even better: brush is invisible
2. test writing (show pinyin) after revealing: tapping on brush activates/deactivates HWR input, but why? There is no need for HWR, and no need for a brush
3. test reading (show character) during input: tapping on brush activates/deactivates HWR input, but why? Pinyin are expected. A greyed keyboard is visible but cannot be used, and "tap with two fingers to clear" appears within the keyboard. This really looks strange and is of no use, and that was the reason for my last post.
4. test reading (show character) after revealing: tapping on brush activates/deactivates HWR input, but why?

Therefore I suggest to treat these four cases the same: either no brush visible, or no effect when tapping on brush.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

leynux said:
In Reader, from landscape orientation, when i have few pages of text, scrolling to LAST page or nearly last, then auto rotate to portrait .. suddenly i have blank page, a few last text missing, need to switch back to landscpae to read last page

We'll investigate, thanks.

leynux said:
Attached
Missing selection.
Now on Beta 5

Did you tap on the brush icon before this happened, or did it just come up this way? Very odd.

ckatt said:
I don't know if this is related to pleco or android but when i tap the share icon in OCR my word processor, polaris office, is not on the list.

That's odd... is it supported by other share commands? Can you give me some examples of apps that it works well with?

ckatt said:
and on they same topic is there a way to move the position of pleco on the share list for other apps? i often have to translate a text message or email i get. it works fine but when i tap the share icon in the messaging app only some apps are shown and i must tap "more..." too see the bigger list. since pleco is the place i sent text most often is there a way to get it to show up in the sort list?

Not quite sure about that, actually, I think to some extent it's manufacturer- and OS-version-dependent... is there any logic to the order the apps appear in now? (alphabetical order, say)

ckatt said:
personally i would like to see a basic edit ability in the reader, mainly because some times if i send a whole paragraph to the reader i later notice that one or two characters were recognized wrong and i then need to send it over to polairs to fix. If i could send straight there from the OCR it would help, but then i cant tap on characters to see there meaning ect. also Polaris and many other WP's i have tried don't allow saving a new file as a .txt. i can open them and edit and save, but if i start from a new file i can only save as .doc, so pleco reader would be unable to open it. is there any chance pleco will support .doc or maybe even .rtf in the future?

We keep getting requests for it, so I suppose it's something to consider for a future release, but in general we don't really feel like we have enough to add to that to justify developing an editor function as opposed to simply letting people save files text and edit them with some other dedicated word processor app. You can correct single OCR characters from within the OCR screen by tap-holding on them, though.

ckatt said:
is there any chance pleco will support .doc or maybe even .rtf in the future?

.rtf might be possible if there's a ton of demand for it, .doc would be so tricky that it's not really something we're likely to consider.

HW60 said:
3. test reading (show character) during input: tapping on brush activates/deactivates HWR input, but why? Pinyin are expected. A greyed keyboard is visible but cannot be used, and "tap with two fingers to clear" appears within the keyboard. This really looks strange and is of no use, and that was the reason for my last post.

That one at least we definitely ought to fix... thanks.

leynux

举人

mikelove said:
leynux said:
Attached
Missing selection.
Now on Beta 5

Did you tap on the brush icon before this happened, or did it just come up this way? Very odd.

Yes, I did tap the brush when I my guess was wrong, and start to practise the character writing to memorize.
Later, click "Next Card". Next card appear with no character choice.

For the moment, I just exit&save and resume the flashcard to make the character appear.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

leynux said:
Yes, I did tap the brush when I my guess was wrong, and start to practise the character writing to memorize.
Later, click "Next Card". Next card appear with no character choice.

OK, seems like we just need to do a better job of checking for / refreshing around this then - thanks.

im not sure if this question was asked before, but is there any way to rename flashcard categories? there is simply no option "rename" when editing a category..

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

soulspirit said:
im not sure if this question was asked before, but is there any way to rename flashcard categories? there is simply no option "rename" when editing a category..

Tap-hold on the category name (in its parent category) and you'll see an option to rename it.

mfcb

状元

mike, from my point of view, beta5 is very stable, the audio over BT got interrupted maybe 3 or 4 times (in total during the last days), one time with HUI/LULU, so i guess its a problem with my headset. will try to get a new one

congratulations on this great piece of software !