Pleco for Android 2.3.7 Bug Report Thread

Alexis

状元
dahuailang said:
I having an issue with getting updates for Pleco. I have Version 2.3.1. You are now on version 2.3.7. I look in my pending updates but nothing is listed. I purchased prior to you going to the market. Usually I get my apps from the market and check the auto update box. The market recognizes that I have Pleco but it is not part of "my apps". So when I go to Pleco in the Market it says "open" and not "install". So I am unable to get updates from the market. I feel like I am in a hole between beta and market.

Follow the instructions here to port over to the market version: http://www.plecoforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3012

Or just go to http://www.pleco.com/getandroid on your phone to download the latest (non-market) version.

Thanks, I followed the instructions and am now on the Android Market. One concern I have is when I looked in the add on section under paid there is an option for the Pleco Basic Version. I already paid $50 for this during the beta testing. I am afraid when the Android Market trial ends they will want me to pay again.

Thanks,
Fred

Alexis

状元
dahuailang said:
Thanks, I followed the instructions and am now on the Android Market. One concern I have is when I looked in the add on section under paid there is an option for the Pleco Basic Version. I already paid $50 for this during the beta testing. I am afraid when the Android Market trial ends they will want me to pay again.

Check out this section in the manual on (re)registering your copy of Pleco: https://www.pleco.com/anmanual/settings.html#registration

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
dahuailang said:

We certainly won't make you pay again if you bought during the beta - just follow those instructions Alexis mentioned to re-enter your Registration ID and reactivate your purchases.

HedgePig

举人
mikelove said:
Interesting, but I'd be worried about it doing this without warning people - for someone with (for example) a collection of textbook-based categories, there's pretty much no reason why they'd ever want to remove a card from those categories since the categories are supposed to match up with the textbook vocabulary. So it's perhaps a bit more dramatic than most users are likely to be looking for.

An option we've occasionally considered is to allow users to set a flag on a particular category that indicates that cards can only belong to one of its child categories at a time; if you wanted to have, say, your own special categories for "really hard words" and "somewhat hard words," you could use this feature to ensure that adding a card to "somewhat hard words" would remove it from "really hard words." Would this help with your situation? When are you generally finding yourself wanting to put a word in a particular category to the exclusion of all other categories?

Thanks for the reply, Mike. The way I use flashcards is as follows. I simply maintain two lists - one is a fairly short list of say 50-80 cards that are new and I don't know very well. Once I feel that I know these moderately well, I transfer them to my much longer list of cards that I know.
(I keep 2 lists because I use different scoring for the two lists and like to be able to drill the first list much more often.)
I'd like an easy way to be able to search the "new" list from time to time and move those cards that have a certain score to the second list.
I think your proposal would also work well.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HedgePig said:
Thanks for the reply, Mike. The way I use flashcards is as follows. I simply maintain two lists - one is a fairly short list of say 50-80 cards that are new and I don't know very well. Once I feel that I know these moderately well, I transfer them to my much longer list of cards that I know.
(I keep 2 lists because I use different scoring for the two lists and like to be able to drill the first list much more often.)
I'd like an easy way to be able to search the "new" list from time to time and move those cards that have a certain score to the second list.
I think your proposal would also work well.

OK, we'll keep pursuing it then. Thanks.

Philou

When I turn off my screen using OCR mode and turn it on again, the camera is off and I have to exit the OCR mode and come back in to get it to work.

I'm using Nexus S on android 4.0.4 and I got Pleco from the official android market but the CN version.
Don't think it's related but as i want to use a vpn, I have to use a screen lock "secured with pattern".

thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Philou said:
When I turn off my screen using OCR mode and turn it on again, the camera is off and I have to exit the OCR mode and come back in to get it to work.

I'm using Nexus S on android 4.0.4 and I got Pleco from the official android market but the CN version.
Don't think it's related but as i want to use a vpn, I have to use a screen lock "secured with pattern".

Might be related - is this the official Google firmware or an unofficial one? May be tricky to fix this, unfortunately, since we don't generally have the ability to do anything to prepare the camera for the system to go to sleep, but we can try to reproduce the problem here and see if anything can be done about it.

Alexis

状元
Bug: Can't change value for Flashcards->Review Flashcards->Card Selection->Day Start Time. It stays at 12:00AM no matter what value you select. (Day type is set to 'Calendar')

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis said:
Bug: Can't change value for Flashcards->Review Flashcards->Card Selection->Day Start Time. It stays at 12:00AM no matter what value you select. (Day type is set to 'Calendar')

Quite right, surprised nobody mentioned this before - thanks!

Alexis

状元
mikelove said:
Alexis said:

Quite right, surprised nobody mentioned this before - thanks!

Could be that nobody here studies their flashcards at 1AM :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis said:
Could be that nobody here studies their flashcards at 1AM

And yet that's the only reason why this particular option exists, so it's heartening to have somebody actually want to use it :)

aiwen

Bug: Time Filter apparently does not work for flashcards. When you try to set for example "Review Flashcards > Card filters > Enable Time Filter = yes > Date = 28.04.2012", the default date value 01.01.2012 is taken instead. The same applies for the time. I have not been using a time filter so far, but tried it today. I would be happy if this feature will be working. :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
aiwen said:
Bug: Time Filter apparently does not work for flashcards. When you try to set for example "Review Flashcards > Card filters > Enable Time Filter = yes > Date = 28.04.2012", the default date value 01.01.2012 is taken instead. The same applies for the time. I have not been using a time filter so far, but tried it today. I would be happy if this feature will be working.

That actually seems to be working OK on a test device here - are you still on that rooted Sony Reader, or is this some other device now? Might be some sort of an odd issue with your particular firmware's version of the Android date/time controls.

HW60

状元
With fill in the blanks, listen to audio and writing characters and no more cards available (spaced repetition), a flashcard audio is produced after "begin session" (probably the first of the rest of all flashcards if I would like to continue) and the session complete window is opened. Not really a bug, but somewhat strange.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
With fill in the blanks, listen to audio and writing characters and no more cards available (spaced repetition), a flashcard audio is produced after "begin session" (probably the first of the rest of all flashcards if I would like to continue) and the session complete window is opened. Not really a bug, but somewhat strange.

Kind of a bug, actually - thanks!

HW60

状元
During flashcard mode editing of flashcards is possible. But when I hit one of the fields to get to "The separate headword / pinyin / definition editing screen", nothing happens. As only the keyboard is visible, I can only enter pinyin or definitions, no headwords.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
During flashcard mode editing of flashcards is possible. But when I hit one of the fields to get to "The separate headword / pinyin / definition editing screen", nothing happens. As only the keyboard is visible, I can only enter pinyin or definitions, no headwords.

That's normal - we haven't hooked up our handwriting recognizer to that screen yet; doing so is really tricky and there are numerous other free Chinese IMEs available in Android Market. (and in most cases it's faster to type Pinyin into one of those than to actually write the characters)

Where did you read that there was a separate screen? The Android instruction manual seems to describe this correctly - is there a reference somewhere else in it that we're missing?

HW60

状元
mikelove said:
Where did you read that there was a separate screen? The Android instruction manual seems to describe this correctly - is there a reference somewhere else in it that we're missing?
Usually I look into the manual starting with Pleco Products and selecting the right manual - this time I erroneously chose the IPhone Manual /Flashcards / Edit Card Text - sorry for that.

Even an Android Market IME does not solve the problem of long entries - I did not find a way to go right of the right-most position of a field. But of course I can change the cards within the dictionary.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
Even an Android Market IME does not solve the problem of long entries - I did not find a way to go right of the right-most position of a field. But of course I can change the cards within the dictionary.

What do you mean? Long headwords should wrap to multiple lines, and you should be moved to the end with the initial selection when you tap on them - do they not do that now?