Pleco 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

yee

举人
With respect to 4.0, it isn't really critical for the mission which is to learn the language.

3.0 does almost everything that is needed. Everyone has one or two things they would like to do better and a few things that need to be worked around.

The fact is, 3.0 is sufficient as a dictionary, as a flashcard system, pronunciation teacher, etc.

In fact, 4.0 is at risk of being inferior to 3.0 because the GOOD IDEA FAIRY may have gotten her hands on it. Without a careful redesign and attention to getting rid of bloat, there is a chance that 4.0 may not work as well as 3.0.

3.0 may not be perfect but its limitations are well understood and can be worked around.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
In fact, 4.0 is at risk of being inferior to 3.0 because the GOOD IDEA FAIRY may have gotten her hands on it. Without a careful redesign and attention to getting rid of bloat, there is a chance that 4.0 may not work as well as 3.0.

A big part of the reason it's taking so long is getting rid of bloat, actually - both in the UI (it takes WAY longer to remove an option than to add it) and the backend - so I'm hopeful that it will come off as an improvement in that regard.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There is a chance that 4.0 may not even be released.

Well no, but if it makes you happier to give up on it ever being released then you're more than welcome to do so + be pleasantly surprised when it is. Just in general, if you're following 4.0 closely enough that you're finding yourself disappointed / angry / etc that it isn't out yet then my advice would be to not do that.

Hello, Mike

I didn't write "There is a chance that 4.0 may not even be released" because it makes me "happier to give up on it ever being released", but simply because that chance exists.
And I'm not finding myself "disappointed / angry / etc that it isn't out yet", so your advice is just useless. Thank you, anyway.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well then I’m not sure why you’d post that. I post screenshots of the dang thing on Twitter all the time, we may be terrible at releasing stuff on schedule but it’s definitely not vaporware.

Anyway, this thread has gotten thoroughly content-free so I’m going to go ahead and lock it now; when there’s actual 4.0 news to discuss I’ll set up a new one, but there’s not much point to having a thread solely for people to ask / complain / express skepticism about an upcoming release. (And I would caution anyone against setting up a new thread for that purpose)

Status
Not open for further replies.