PLC V.O. \\

Putting this here cuz the new plc is still in beta.

I'm noticing PLC pinyin for V.O. form words is now adding double slashes (\\) in between the verbs and the objects, e.g.:

害喜 hài\\xǐ
过招儿 guò\\zhāo'èr
走过场 zǒu\\guòchǎng

Are these going to be kept after the beta?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's the plan, yes. Though we'll switch them to forward slashes in the finished release; we made them backslashes because of a bug in the current version of Pleco that was causing flashcard pinyin to be cut off after the first forward slash. Also planning to start using this in the document reader at some point (to find + provide definitions for split words).

rizen suha

状元
Woa, hurts my eye:-| This strange symbolism looks like a programmers hack and to me is a bad fit with the otherwise beautiful aesthetics of Pleco and the universe of chinese characters. Or am I mistaken or is it perhaps a standard notation in linguistics? Would like to see an option to disable these. Or make them invisible (displaying instead a simple space); thus still allowing search. Their presence will be clear from context. Or use some other marker such as a light gray box or something (though I would much prefer a simple space) ...

Woa, hurts my eye:-| This strange symbolism looks like a programmers hack and to me is a bad fit with the otherwise beautiful aesthetics of Pleco and the universe of chinese characters. Or am I mistaken or is it perhaps a standard notation in linguistics? Would like to see an option to disable these. Or make them invisible (displaying instead a simple space); thus still allowing search. Their presence will be clear from context. Or use some other marker such as a light gray box or something (though I would much prefer a simple space) ...

I believe it's standard linguistic notation, although I've only ever seen it in topolect dictionaries before. This dictionary uses = instead of \\ or //

FullSizeRender.jpg